Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towing concern

Hi guys,
    I have to move to Brownsville Texas, I'm in CT.
    my plan is towing my firebird( renting a haul carrier).
    My wife's daily car it's a 92 Lincoln Continental in very good cond.
    Do you think the Lincoln could be able to tow the F-body?

any comments!

thanks in advance.

Why don't you rent a u-haul truck for your stuff and tow a u-haul car trailer (all wheels off ground) behind it?

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Well, the Lincoln will do it......

But ranger's suggestion is a valid one....although more $$.

I've towed cars behind all kinds of stuff.... even 1st gen mini vans with 4-cyls. The Lincoln has plenty of heft and power if it's a V8.

Were you planning on a full trailer or a dolly? The U-Haul trailers are HEAVY (likely overweight on the towing capacity of the Lincoln.. with car & trailer ....... if that matters to you) ! If you were planning on a dolly..... if your 'bird is an auto, you have to remove the driveshaft & plug the trans output .

Gordon

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

the bad new is..

my lincoln it's V-6.
        And yes, I was planning to rent the full trailer.
        I've to get any other option because $1700 ( truck and trailer)....
        is too much !

thanks for all your replies guys.

Comment

If ya gotta do it.... just be carefull. The Lincoln will live.... May not like it, but it'll live.

Be carefull because the trailer & the 'bird will weigh as much or more than the Lincoln.

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

you could reverse dolly it. that would work as long as the wheels are 100% straight and it is rear wheel drive.
            http://www.sounddomain.com/id/magnetheadz28

Kenwood Krc-335(soon to be HU)]
            Kenwood Kdc-c669 (soon to be cd changer)
            Lanzar Vibe 418 (subwoofer amp)
            Lanzar Vibe 218 (6x9 amp)
            Subwoofers: bazooka EL1204

Comment

Definitely reverse dolly the car, if you're going to dolly it. Take two ratchet straps and attach them between the steering wheel and the seat brackets. The steering wheel will not move and it will safely dolly backwards. DO NOT USE THE STEERING WHEEL LOCK, IT WILL BREAK!

It would be much better to just get the big U-haul and trailer. I'd double check on that price if I were you, we got the big U-haul one way, 3 day rental for $500, unlimited mileage. If they are renting that trailer for $1200 for 3 days, that's insane. You could go buy your own for less than that!
              "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

What is the capacity of your hitch on the Lincoln. Remember you have to account for the weight of the vehicle plus the trailer.

I tried towing a 2800 pound boat with my 85 GT once. I figured I had 4 wheel disc brakes and 3.73 gears so it wouldn't be a problem. I didn't have any trouble pulling it. It was stopping it that was the problem. The car weighed so little that the brakes would lock up and the trailer would push the car. It scared the crap out of me once going into a T intersection that was downhill.

I seriously wouldn't advise this. Get the truck.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Do think hard about towing ... my '79 on a full trailer (total weight around 4000 pounds+) pushed me off the street in a 320d Beemer ... even with my Jeep Cherokee and slightly weight-reduced 79, I still don't feel comfortable pulling it ... and 4th gen F-Bodies aren't really leight-weight...
                  Either way, good luck with your move ...
                  Garry Glendown * '00 Firehawk M6 #92 * '98 Camaro V6 Convertible

Comment

thanks for your advise guys!

definitely I need a truck, so I hope to find a good deal with some "rent a truck" company. (and the full trailer).

Comment

Working...
                    X