cold air intake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold air intake

ok ive heard cold air intakes are nice... how much difference does it make? ive never had one because the moisture that it might take in when the car hits water... or is where they are placed in a spot where moisture cant get to them?

IMO unless you're driving through 1-2 feet of water, I don't see how the water can be a problem. I've had mine for years and have had no problems whatsoever. I even cut out the car's plastic right underneath the filter so it can breathe more...and put a metal scoop there. Even under a hard downpour, it hasn't affected it one bit.
    As far as horsepower gains, you'll probably see a minimum of 8 to 15 RWHP due to this mod. It's definitely one of those mods that are a "must"...especially if you plan on doing other things (i.e. catback, headers, motor work, etc.). The 3 brands recommended are K&N, Moroso (same as Callaway), and SLP.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

aight sounds good... which would you go for first... i was leaning toward k&n but are either of the other better... or all about the same?

Comment

They're roughly about the same. Whatever you find cheapest, I would go for. I got the Moroso for $130 on ebay about 4 years ago.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

If looks are a factor, go with the SLP one. I get lots of compliments on it.
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Lingenfelter CAI is the cheapest, and it uses the huge K&N air filter. $ 159.99 at www.lingenfelter.com
            94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

hey steve93z, is that grand national all stock? or do you have stuff done to it?

Comment

Originally posted by EquatorHeat00
                Lingenfelter CAI is the cheapest, and it uses the huge K&N air filter. $ 159.99 at www.lingenfelter.com
                I second that, good combo!

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
                Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

I got my callaway/moroso in the junk yard for $20.00
                  It was for a 93 and I have a 95 with MAF. A little sawing did the trick.
                  Anyway the moroso appears to be a very good upgrade. I wouldnt worry about the water, you would stand a better chance of wasting the opti before it sucked water up.
                  1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
                  Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
                  Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Working...
                  X