just for all who dont know

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just for all who dont know

just for all of you who havent replaced their headlight motors in their firebirds. its a pain in the *** i will tell you. happy easter and i hope your gears dont strip out.
    1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Brent Franker (sp) sells brass gears so you don't have to replace the assembly. The replacements from GM still have plastic gears in them, so they will strip again.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

i didnt i replaced the gears but with plastic ones the metal are too expensive
      1994 firebird formula

Comment

Your two posts seem to contradict each other.... did you replace the entire motor (1st post) or simply replace the plastic gear (2nd post)? Did you consider just rotating the existing plastic gears so that the good teeth on the opposite/unused side of the gear would be used?

One of my headlights decided to stay down recently, so I suspect its time for a gear "half-rotation".
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I don't know how much I paid for mine, but I know it was less than $80. Considering I'll only have to replace the gears once forever, that seemed like a pretty good deal to me. BTW, the trick Fred is talking about doesn't require any replacement. You just unbolt the arm and manually rotate the gear to the other side using the adjuster screw.
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

i only replaced the gears, but it is still just as much work, actually a little more
            you see but i was not sure if it was only the gear, so i bought the cheapys and sure enough the lights dont go up or down. they used to go up but then down they would grind. so i replaced the motors, i dont know what to do.
            1994 firebird formula

Comment

While we're on topic...

I lost the shaft arm nut so now the passenger side light won't go up. Any ideas on where the best place is toget my hands on something like that?

Comment

Working...
              X