ls1 rear in lt1 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ls1 rear in lt1 question

im going to being swapping out my rear end soon. I have a 97 formula it has ABS and TCS. The rear end i gonna get is from a LS1 car. the rear has the calipers and brakes on it too. What would i need to due inorder to make this a clean swap. I heard the ls1 brakes are different then the lt1. would i also be ok with the lt1 brakes up front still and the ls1 brakes out back. I know most of the braking comes from the front but i cant afford to the front brake conversion yet. Gotta tackle one thing at a time.Can anyone give me some advice. Thanks
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Originally posted by lt14mla
    im going to being swapping out my rear end soon. I have a 97 formula it has ABS and TCS. The rear end i gonna get is from a LS1 car. the rear has the calipers and brakes on it too. What would i need to due inorder to make this a clean swap. I heard the ls1 brakes are different then the lt1. would i also be ok with the lt1 brakes up front still and the ls1 brakes out back. I know most of the braking comes from the front but i cant afford to the front brake conversion yet. Gotta tackle one thing at a time.Can anyone give me some advice. Thanks
    The brake pads for the rear of the LT1 and LS1 cars are different but about the same size. I was told that the ABS takes care of the proportioning rather than a proportioning valve like the old cars did. So there shouldn't be a problem with whether the rear brakes better or worse after the change over.

I haven't a clue about the TCS and how it hooks up or if it will work.

I can say that the ABS sensor on the frame is different on the LS1 cars compared to the LT1 car. The sensor is the same sensor so all you have to do is use the harness on the LT1 rear end.

The emergency brake cables are the same.

The hydraulic brake line connection on the frame is the same.

Curious question, why are you changing it out? I don't think the brakes are much better on the LS1. I changed mine to get the gears and mine whined really loud. I also kind of wanted the front and back brakes to be of the same years but that wasn't that important.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

swapping it because i blew out the entire defferental and posi. The clutches are wasted. its cheaper to get anotehr rear then get the diff rebuilt.
      -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

Working...
      X