Torque Converters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fastTA
    Yes, OBD-I's had PWM as well. To the best of my knowledge all 4l60E equpped cars had PWM. The 700 R4's did not.

One more thing I forgot to add was that it is possible to completely "delete" the the PWM from the PCM. This should only be considered a last resort fix though in my opinion.
    My car has a 3000 stall, and when I built the tranny, the first thing did was defeat the pwm and remove the ball in the input shaft, because with the blower, even the Vigilante TC (single plate) clutch wasn't going to live. The PWM is really in there to make the converter clutch engagement / disengagement less noticeable - without it, it seems more like the car is shifting into another gear - it's more abrupt. We also opened the converter and put a proper thrust bearing in there. Then when it was in the car I used LT1 Edit to reprogram the pressure curves and checked it with a pressure gauge taped to the windshield to make sure I had the pressure at 240 or so then I programmed it not to lockup at WOT. Also I put on a deep pan, a cooler and a external filter. It's been in there that way for about 5 years now.

One bad drawback to having too high a stall on the street is that your car makes a lot of noise leaving from a stop. It's excruciating if your exhaust is also loud, and you get a cop behind you, you will be trying not to make noise and get noticed.

Comment

Working...
    X