service engine light ! :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• service engine light ! :(

i was driving home from work today and there was like 2 - 4 inches of water on the roads its been pouring since late last night non stop and thunder storms

at first im almost home and the service engine light starts blinking i stopped at a friends house just to make sure it wasn't anything urgent and popped the hood and just took a brief look while it was running looking for anything out of place smoke smells slipping noises leaking

any suggestions what it could be need help immediatly

1997 Camaro Z28
    1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

if it is obd2 then blinking usually means a misfire is occuring. it is possible that the opti is getting damp and may need to be replaced. also a blinking engine light is bad on an obd2 car. stop by a local auto parts store and see if they have a code scanner. its ok to drive as long as the light isnt blinking
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

its just going steady it blinked for a few seconds im not sure wether its obdII or not how would i figure out

it isnt blinking now though its just a steady light i think i'll let it sit over night and then take it to a mechanic tommorow to let him check it out
      1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

Comment

Last time I drove my 97 in the rain it was the Opti that failed
        1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
        1 of 463
        LT4 knock module
        D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
        strut tower brace
        SLP fan switch
        160* t/stat
        Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
        DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

When everything dries out, I would suggest coating the inside of all the plug boots with dielectric grease to seal out any moisture. Many times it's the cap terminal to plug wire connection that gets moisture corrosion. btw, 96 and later is OBDII.

Comment

I had a constant SES light, ran the codes and it pointed to the EGR valve.
            Simple replacement. I think it was code 32 or somthing real close to that.
            1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
            Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
            Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

so take it to the mechanic to let him run the scan or just disconnect the battery to see if its still throwing the code

when its blinking that means its throwing the code right and then when it goes steady that means it has a code thrown in the history ?

Comment

when it is blinking it means that the malfunction can cause damage to your engine, when its steady it means that it will not cause immediate damage, when it goes out, it means the problem is over, and the codes are stored in the ecu for a period of time. i think its 50 startups
                2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
                past rides:
                1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
                1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Originally posted by DierDesire824
                  so take it to the mechanic to let him run the scan or just disconnect the battery to see if its still throwing the code

when its blinking that means its throwing the code right and then when it goes steady that means it has a code thrown in the history ?
                  You could take it to autozone and they will scan it for free. If you get the codes and post them, we can tell you more. If you disconnect the battery, the current code will get wiped and you won't know what the actual malfunction was. if you don't care and just want to reset the light, you can pull the fuse to the PCM in the fusebox and that will do it.

Comment

no i just wanted to understand wether constant light means the malfunction is just on the harddrive of the computer and is not actually still happening was scarring me cause the car has to be driven to new jersey on april 14th when i head up there for a vacation and thats a 400 mile round trip for me maybe a little more so didnt want to change anything going wrong

just want to make sure it was anything severe before i change the oil and top off all my other fluids

so the light staying on means the problem is still existing ? sorry for being a pain im just overly worried about anything to do with my car lol

Comment

When the SES light is on, whether its blinking or constant, you have a problem. It is not just "just on the hard drive". The PCM runs constant or frequent spot checks on many of the engines sensors and operating systems. If it detects a failure, either of the device, or the desired results, it turns on the SES light. It is an "active" code. The light stays on until 1) the problem goes away, 2) you clear it with a scanner or by pulling the power to the PCM. But even if you "clear it", if the problem is still there, the light will come right back on as soon as the PCM runs that diagnostic again, and the system fails to pass.

Do not guess.... there are close to a hundred codes that you can set. Get is scanned ASAP. Virtually any decent auto shop should have an OBD-II scanner. You can even buy your own code (only) reader for $40 from Harbor Freight.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks im getting scanned today at a mechanic or autozone ill post the results when i get home im at school right now and im not driving the car its sitting at home so as not to further any damage

Comment

even though the engine light is on, it is still safe to drive to a shop or to get it scanned. its when it is blinking that you want to let off the throttle, pull over safely and shut her down.
                          past rides:
                          1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

turns out the nearest autozone is a few counties away

so my dad called his bud that is a mechanic and im just going to take it their tommorow

hoping nothings majorly wrong

i mean like no change in rpms no louds i can hear in the drivers seat when idling no change in ride quality all guages look normal oil level was mid way but im planning on changing that this weekend anyway seeing as im like 300 from 3,000 since last time i changed my oil

Comment

Working...
                            X