Custom Y Pipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Y Pipe?

I am uncertain about headers; I do not want to remove emissions (cats) because of resale value. If I were to do headers I would probably look at SLP coated shorties, but I believe I want to skip the headers because of the install and $$$.

Would a local exaust shop free up a choke point by fabricating a custom Y pipe for my car? My goals are to leave the car somewhat stock (i.e. no headers) Just a weekend cruser, infrequent 1320 racer.
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Since you can't move the cats, you would be pretty hard-pressed for a replacement and have a shop fab. one for your, as you mentioned, would be the only way, but I don't know if I would recommend it (of course, that's just me ). The only reason I say this is because keeping the position of the pass. side cat could be a pain, plus the fab. cost could get a little pricey depending on how its done. But, it is a very good idea and, if you've got the money to do it, it couldn't hurt, right? If you follow through with this, I'd be interested in some pics. My sister has a 96 and I'm sure she'd be interested in this also...if we speak in the near future that is lol
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

they make aftermarket ypipes that flow better. try fbodymotorsports.com or hawksthirdgenparts.com
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
        they make aftermarket ypipes that flow better. try fbodymotorsports.com or hawksthirdgenparts.com
        Except I don't believe there are any street-legal aftermarket Y-pipes for the dual-cat LT1 owners. A fab. job would probably be the only legal way to open up the Y-pipe area.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The factory Y dual cat Y pipe isn't very good. I run a Random Tech dual Cat Y pipe and it's worth at least 10 HP. It does relocate the driver's side cat down and parallel to the passenger side. They have various flange configurations from stock manifold/shortie headers for all 4th gen LT-1. Good quality, smog legal and a good HP boost. I feel the combo of SLP shorties and this Y pipe is darned close to the power of long tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            I feel the combo of SLP shorties and this Y pipe is darned close to the power of long tubes.
            I feel the same way. 3tenths,3+mph for me. I don't think I would have gained much more with long tubes. Plus I should be able to pass NJ emissions. Too many people bash the shorty's, but I am glad I went with them.
            1995 Firebird Formula
            (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Working...
            X