Header install... What happened...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raroZ28
    How can I get it out without pulling the head?? Think it'll be aight, the header is on there really tight.
    By removing everything, drilling out the broken bolt pieces and fixing the threads with a helicoil. It will probably take a remote drill head ( either flexible shaft or 90º adapter to get into the confined area. That's the only way I know of without removing the head. I've done it, it works.......time consuming and close quarters though.

Comment

2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        By removing everything, drilling out the broken bolt pieces and fixing the threads with a helicoil. It will probably take a remote drill head ( either flexible shaft or 90º adapter to get into the confined area. That's the only way I know of without removing the head. I've done it, it works.......time consuming and close quarters though.
        Jeff has the right idea. I'll get a pic of the tool I'm gonna use. Should make easy work of it without harming the threads. The Takes about 2" of room. Right angle drill, really small.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

That bolt is famous for being broken. Good luck removing it, I was never able to find a tool that could fit in such a small area. That is why I ended up getting the SLP headers that use a different (unused) bolt hole. My broken bolt is still in the head. Are you sure your headers use the same bolt battern as the original manifold, some/many(?) don't?

Sean
          1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

Working...
          X