Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling Ken C.... Need a recommendation...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Ken C.... Need a recommendation...

The firestone firehawks have 37k miles on them and will need replacing soon! Any recommendations on a simular wet handling performance tire! ! !

Thanks,,, Jon
    1999 Black TA Ram Air M6 with lots of Mods and many coats of Zaino!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/runbikejrb1

While for Ken's response, I though you might want to read a little.

I loved the SZ50, but dry grip went away after the first 1/3 of the tread wears off. The SZ50ep I don't think was much better. It was still a good tire for the money, the rain performance was great. I think I've found a replacement that is even better for similar pricing:

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10546

I've had various Goodyear tires and have had mixed feelings with them. These so far are the best Goodyear tire I've tried. Now I'm just curious how the tread wears and now the perfromance varies with tread depth. Right now, they outperform the SZ50 in the dry and in the wet they seem equal. They look more aggressive and are a little wider in section width too.

Comment

More stuff for while you wait. I've been happy with my BFG KDWs (not KDWSs).
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I've owned a lot of Goodyears in the past for my other cars, but wasn't ever impressed with their performance tires. The F1 were my second choice when I was looking the last time, but understood that their wet performance wasn't very good. BFGs were my third choice. I'm not racing my car, but still looking for an overall good (wet and dry handling) performance tire. Since I have a pretty good relationship with my local Goodyear dealer, I may be leaning towards the F1's.

I think Ken C. is busy breakin in the new GTO! I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico on business and wish I had the bird here. Lots of open country! ! !

Comment

goodyear is overpriced and over rated... (no offense... the dont like me either, my testing resulted in the re design of the first aquatreads that failed to meet the claims by a long shot... , both in water shedding and treadwear UTQG numbers)

the new Firestone Wide Oval is the sz50 line upgrade replacement..........

ok......

bye yall.......

i gotta git off the puter and out side.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Here is what I can find on the wide oval

A press release: can be found here

The picture : can be found here
            and $144 at Tirerack

Other than that I dont see no reviews on the tire by users ... too new I guess
            Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
            Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
            pics and info

Comment

Thanks Ken and others. I've already been to TireRack. I have a few months to figure out what I want to get!

Time for me to order some more ZXF for the bird.

Ken... Enjoy the new GTO! Good thing it doesn't have a T-Top.... you don't have that much hair left to loose!
              HAHAHAHHAHA

Duckin & Runnin

Comment

A Tirerack rep on another board said that they haven't been able to test it yet due to winter weather. They should be getting to it soon.

I've been doing some searching, but find anything past what has been posted already.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                  goodyear is overpriced and over rated... (no offense... the dont like me either, my testing resulted in the re design of the first aquatreads that failed to meet the claims by a long shot... , both in water shedding and treadwear UTQG numbers)

I've had Aquatreds, Gatorbacks, GSCs, F1s and haven't liked any of them. Well, that's not entirely true. There were certain aspects of each tire that I did like but somewhere there was always a fatal flaw that made the rating as a whole not so hot. The Aquatred was stellar when new in the rain. It wore like crap. The Gatorbacks were decent in a straight line but lost it in the turns along with being noisy. GSCs were one tire I couldn't really find a redeeming quality. The tread looked pretty good.? F1s didn't really float my boat either. Just like the GSC, the F1 seemed to be OK right up until they broke loose. The breakaway wasn't gradual, it was abrupt with little warning. These GSD3s don't seem to be like the others. The part that I've yet to see is the treadwear. If that goes OK, I'll have a better opinion of Goodyear.

I've had Cooper too. Back during my divorce I needed a couple of sets to get me by. The PEP Boys Futura Ultra Z is made by Cooper and isn't a bad tire for the money. When new I managed to cut a couple of 1.9 60' times. They didn't have the ultimate grip of a dedicated maximum performance tire, but one set lasted me 40K miles! And I wasn't completely gentle with them either. If I put lots of miles on a car, I would consider these again.

The only issue I had with the SZ50s was the grip went away quickly as the tire wore. They felt a little squirmy when new, but hooked great. The squirmy feel goes away as you get down toward 50% tread and so did the dragstrip type grip. They still cut though water great down to about 1/3 tread and then to me, the tire got pretty worthless. I still have a set with a little over 50% tread and these new Goodyears have much more stick in back to back comparison. I just can't hook with the SZ50s anywhere near as well as the GSD3s which do not have any of the squirmy feel that the SZ50s do when new.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    Just like the GSC, the F1 seemed to be OK right up until they broke loose. The breakaway wasn't gradual, it was abrupt with little warning.
                    No crap. That abrupt breakaway cost me a 1 year old 10,000 mile Z28 once. It let loose on an onramp and I was not able to get it back. I went down the ditch and through a fence. It was totalled.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I've got the Goodyear GSD3's as well, I had them installed the tire pressure in the back was about 38 PSI I lowered them to 29 PSI and got much better dry traction. The fronts I left at 38 just to have lower friction and they don't wander over roads too much. I'm pretty happy with them so far.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                        No crap. That abrupt breakaway cost me a 1 year old 10,000 mile Z28 once. It let loose on an onramp and I was not able to get it back. I went down the ditch and through a fence. It was totalled.
                        I can relate with several instances of similar situations only I narrowly escaped any impacts. A terrible tire at the limit. GSCs on my Vettes weren't any better with an IRS. I swapped ends a couple times in those too.

Comment

get some gator backs...... lol
                          1967 Camaro "Project"
                          1972 Chevelle "454"
                          1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Working...
                          X