Whats the highest size wheel i can use?\

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the highest size wheel i can use?\

Hey guys, just finally bought a 96' Formula Firebird and was wanting to put some 18s on it. But someone told me that the tires would rub. So what's the deal?

Was at auto shop today lookin' for new rims, guy asked me if I wanted 18's or the original 17's and showed me a couple styles, so I know you can fit it with 18's. Not sure bout ride quality though, still waitin' for the word on that one. Good Luck Bro!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I like the looks of 18's. So i'll probably get those. With the right size tire, probably 285/45/18, I don't think it'll pose to much of a problem.

Comment

Been surfin' all night lookin' for new wheels, Dude I even found 20's from SS Inserts. Guess it would be cool if ya wanted rubber bands for tires! Hugh?

Comment

Yes, you can put 18's on the car as long as they are the correct offset. You can even put 20's on it, but I wouldn't recommend that as you would ruin the performance of the car (not to mention the eternal ribbing you would get from every f-body board in the world )
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I ordered a set of c6 18's a few weeks back, I have 2 of them so far 18 x 9.5 rims with 275 x 35 rubber in the rear, for the fronts 18 x 8.5 rims on 245 x 40 rubber. I wont be able to rotate my tires but with the diffrent widths the car will stear a little easyer and there is less chance of rubbing in the front when you do a sharp turn. I read up alot on this topic and people here helped me out too. Another thing you need to look at are ride hights, the bigger your rims the smaller the tire side walls are if you want to keep ride hight, this keep the correct clearances between the road and your car and the gages accurate . Keep in mind larger dia wheels with small side walls will give you more of a bumpy ride and will increase the chances of damaged rims from pot holes not to mention $$$ for the rubber. Hope this helps you out.
            94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

From what I have read on here, 18's will fit but you compromise performance and ride quality with them. If its for show, then it will look great.
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
              Traded in: 1998 Z28
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Then why do the Vettes run them in the rear
                97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
                In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

Originally posted by soCalTA
                  Then why do the Vettes run them in the rear
                  Vettes have an IRS, different suspension geometry and different spring rates. The reader's digest version is vettes were designed to have them.

Comment

since we are on the subject of tires .. how wide a rim does one need to have a 305 tire?
                    97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF

Comment

Originally posted by soCalTA
                      since we are on the subject of tires .. how wide a rim does one need to have a 305 tire?
                      Where are you getting a 305 tire? There aren't any for 17" wheels that I am aware of. The only 305's for an 18" wheel are the Hoosier or Kumho soft compount, thin tread road race tires in 305/30-18. Those typically require a wheel in the range of 10.5 - 12.0" wide.

Nitto does sell a 305/45-18 Drag Radial, but that's a 28.8" diameter tire, so its going to take a torch and a Sawzall to put it on a 4th Gen. They are supposed to be coming out with a 305/35-18 Drag Radial, but I don't know if they are available yet.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

If that is what you want I have like new 99 C5 Corvette wheels Front 17x8.5
                        rear 18x9.5 $250.00 free shipping have pics at zlee@bellsouth.net

Comment

Don't mean to hijack the thread but from what Joe said about the 18" wheels I am now looking to 17" however I want some wide rears just not to the point where they are past the fender. At or just inside is what I want.

Comment

socal, you want 17X11's in the rear then with correct offsets. American Racing sells them at perfect offsets that do not require any modifications to the car and also do not require spacers (some wheels require one or both for them to work). Injuneer can tell you the factory ZR1 wheel offset that will work with no mods (there's only one offset that will work that way).
                            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

AFS ZR1 17x11 50mm offset, 315/35-17 BFG Drag Radials:

ARE Torque Thrust II 17x11 45mm offset, 315 tires:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                              X