Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dose A 1995 trans am cost alot to maintain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dose A 1995 trans am cost alot to maintain?

could someone please clue me in on either the average they pay monthly for Trans AM maintanance, or or tell me anything you know about paying for work on that car.

thanks alot i really would like to know i have 1 day to retun the car please help

well how many miles are on the car? is the car in good shape or does it need some work? generally there not too expensive to have work done on them, but you should take it somewhere were they know about your car, not just some gas station mechanic.
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

its a 1995 trans am 89,000 miles on it 6 speed manual it hasnt been in any accidents, i am 17, but i have a job that gets a decent amount for my age, like 240-250 dollars a week for 16 hours of work.

Comment

Lets see....

Car payments = 600 a month (I'm overpaying to get it done quicker)
        Insurance = 220 month full coverage
        Gas = Anywhere from 25-40 per week, depending on how much I drive

Things that were a necessity since I've bought the car a year ago

Plugs and wires = $120
        Built up Transmission (got a better deal cause I knew old one was shot) = $1,400 + core (old trans)
        Hawk Pads front/rear = $140 including shipping charges
        Oil Changes = $200 (4 changes using royal purple and a k&n filter)
        Turn Signal Flasher = $4
        Door Lock Switch = $10
        New Opti (haven't switched yet, but bought it cause mine's startin to go) = $200 or so (bought it a while back)

Factor in mod $$$ which is inevitable, and school $$$ and I now see why I'm always poor

Keep in mind that alot of the things I have gotten, you can get for a lot cheaper by using a different product.
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

i say you should be alrigth with it. as long as it drives smooth i say keep it. i wanted a six speed, but i found a deal on the car i have and couldnt refuse it. i say keep it.
          1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

A 6 speed with 89k should be in at least fair condition if not good as long as it was taken care of properly.
            black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I've got a '95 Firebird Formula with all the factory options. The only parts I have had to replace are the head light motor assemblies (I got brass gears), pass. side power motor, power antenna and some work on the CD player. at 80K miles its been pretty reliable considering I have power every thing and the car is about 10 yrs old.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

so the transmission cost 1.4 grand you said? how many miles till i must relace mine?

Comment

I did forget a couple things now I'm thinking about it more.
                  My headlight motor gear was stripped, but was a free fix. I just flipped the gear so the other half of the teeth would be used.

Another common one that I haven't seen yet, but probably will and what most have seen is a power window motor needing to be replaced.

As for my tranny, first of all, mine was an auto...you have a manual.
                  A manual tranny should last longer than an auto....that is unless the guy before you killed the clutch. Burning up the clutch would more likely than not be the problem for most manual tranny's....especially if driven by a not so good driver.

You really cannot put a mileage on your trans, but I would say you should have many thousands of miles left. Remember too, that a tranny doesn't always need to be replaced. You can have a certain part replaced, or have it rebuilt which would cost less $$$. My tranny costed me 1,400 (labor done by myself) due to the fact i got it built up, higher stall converter, shift kit, etc... I didn't get a replacement stock 4L60E transmission.

You have to go by feel when it comes to your trans. If it's not catching right, or slipping between gears, etc...then have it looked at.

Comment

thanks 1995T/A, im about 90% sure im going to keep this car, it is a T-Top...

Comment

Originally posted by xsinax
                      thanks 1995T/A, im about 90% sure im going to keep this car, it is a T-Top...
                      No prob...glad I could help. T-tops are awesome...wish i had 'em myself That's ok, in a couple years, I will own a T-Top '02 WS6 along with my car

Just take care of her, and she'll take care of you. If you ever need help with anything, this is the place to go. The most knowledgeable people about our cars that I have ever talked to are some of the people right here on these boards.

I suggest you also make a sig telling info on your car...year, mods, etc... That way in the future, you don't have to explain about your car, all you have to do is ask. You should also post some pictures if you get a chance

Take care, and welcome to the boards.

Comment

thanks alot, good lookin out T/A

Comment

Originally posted by xsinax
                          so the transmission cost 1.4 grand you said? how many miles till i must relace mine?
                          My T56 6sp has almost 99k miles and it is fine. I am going to have the bearings and synchros replaced this winter so that it is smooth with my 4.10s. The cost of that is $625.

My repairs so far besides the usual oil, filters, plugs, & wires.

Opti $190 - not broken just replaced because it was old.
                          EGR valve - recall item - dealer changed for free
                          water pump $140 - started leaking at about 70k miles
                          fuel pump $750 - (had it done by a mechanic at 88k) getting my masters...no time to work on the car
                          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

not to be snoopy, but where do u work?...

Comment

Don't forget the "mod bug surcharge" - avoid getting it - that's what is expensive about these cars!
                              Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Working...
                              X