Additives, useful or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additives, useful or not?

I was wondering how do you feel about additives in general? Since I get a decent discount (work at a auto parts store) I was thinking of adding an entire round of additives to my car (oil, tranny, fuel cleaner, radiator/cooling, and power steering). Are additives like these actually useful or are they just a ploy used to get your money? I know certain ones like zMax are nothing more then a scam in a bottle. However the store I work at carries things like Greased Lightning, Lucas, and Leading Edge and all three seem to get good reviews from the customers (although their opinions do not really matter). So I'm kind of stuck here, I'm not worried about wasting $20+ I just don't want to buy something that can do more harm then good.

Thanks for the input,

CVF
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

If those additives were so go, companies like Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol, and others would put them in their lubricants to start with.

Snake oils.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

what jeff said, and;, if they were so good , why dont the vehicle manufacture's recommend thier own version of them.??

the answer is: they aren't. infact, some can do more harm than good.

don't use em.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

what about gumout fuel system cleaner i have some at my house and was wondering wether it would hurt my car or not?
        1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

Originally posted by DierDesire824
          what about gumout fuel system cleaner i have some at my house and was wondering wether it would hurt my car or not?
          I looked at a bottle of NAPA fuel injection cleaner and it was 100% kerosene. They wanted $2.49 for a pint. That's $19.92 a gallon. What a market that is.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            I looked at a bottle of NAPA fuel injection cleaner and it was 100% kerosene. They wanted $2.49 for a pint. That's $19.92 a gallon. What a market that is.
            so your sayin you can just dump some kerosene in your tank to clean out the fuel injection?
            1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by redws6
              so your sayin you can just dump some kerosene in your tank to clean out the fuel injection?
              It appears that way. That was not the only fuel injection cleaner that I have seen that was 100% kerosene.

We used to use kerosene in trade school to clean the machines. I always wondered how safe that was.

Comment

These fuel system cleaners offer some benefit but are highly overpriced. if you want to use an additive, go to a paint supply store and purchase Xylene in gallon containers. Mix up to 25% with pump unleaded and add 1 ounce of marvel mystery oil per gallon of Xylene. Yes it is safe, Xylene is the principle ingredient of high octane race gas. By mixing in the metioned ratio you will have an honest 100 octane and after a tank of that, your fuel system will be as clean as it's going to get. I've been doing this for years.

Comment

seriously!
                  1989 TA
                  Flowmaster exhaust
                  Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
                  K&N CAI
                  Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

Originally posted by Disifer

seriously!
                    http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc...explained.html

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      These fuel system cleaners offer some benefit but are highly overpriced. if you want to use an additive, go to a paint supply store and purchase Xylene in gallon containers. Mix up to 25% with pump unleaded and add 1 ounce of marvel mystery oil per gallon of Xylene. Yes it is safe, Xylene is the principle ingredient of high octane race gas. By mixing in the metioned ratio you will have an honest 100 octane and after a tank of that, your fuel system will be as clean as it's going to get. I've been doing this for years.
                      marvel mystery oil?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<dukin and pukin>

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

that link posted totes using Toluene ... what is the difference about using Xylene?

,how much would you add to an F-bodies gas tank (16 gal or so)? I assume you would add up to 4 gallons of Xylene (not toluene???) and 4 oz of marvel mystery oil
                        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                        pics and info

Comment

I've always thought it's a good idea to use some fuel system cleaner every 5,000 miles or so. I didn't use it for the first 30,000 on my 98 Camaro. When I finally did I COULD feel the difference....an actual, tangible, sotp difference.

I wouldn't use an oil cleaner though, or anything else for that matter.
                          Joe K.
                          '11 BMW 328i
                          '10 Matrix S AWD
                          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

i think i would rather buy something that i didnt have to play mad scientist to mix myself, if there is a way to mess it up i will.
                            95 Trans Am, K&N CAI, LT4 knock module, Flowmaster exhuast, Grant GT steering wheel, Sony head unit w/sub, Autometer Gauges

Comment

most decent stuff I know that works is the GM Top end cleaner that you can get at any GM dealer. But I might try this mad scientist bit
                              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                              pics and info

Comment

Working...
                              X