Sludge in my filler cap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sludge in my filler cap

Today I was checking the fluids in my bird after alittle cruise, after I checked the oil level I decided to take the filler cap off for the hell of it. When I took it off I heard air escape then I looked in the filler tube and inside the cap and was suprised to see quite abit of yellowish sludge It kinda gots me freaking out, btw the oil looked fine on the dipstick although it smelled allitle bit like gas.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
    2001 Intrigue GL

You heard air escape when you removed the oil fill cap? If so, you have a serious problem. The PCV valve should pull the vapors out of the crankcase. In the event pressure builds up, there is line from the valve cover to the throttle body to relieve the pressure. The presence of the brown sludge in the oil fill cap would also indicate you have water vapor in the crankcase (a normal product of hudrocarbon combustion) and it is condensing on the colder fill cap and causing the sludge. Points to a few major possibilites:

The PCV valve is plugged up

You have excessive blowby on the piston rings.

You are running excessively rich and the fuel is washing past the rings and contaminating the oil.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I had a 93 Formula and the rings went bad around 120,000 miles. I had excess pressure, and couldn't pass the emmisions test because of fuel leaking past the pistons.

You may want to get it checked out, the fix isn't cheap though.

We rebuilt the motor and stroked it to a 383, that was fun. Fun, but not cheap.

Randy
      99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
      93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Many times, I've seen the PCV stop functioning - in the open or closed position. In every case where I've seen them get stuck while closed, moisture condenses, and you get all this stuff that looks green or yellow (like old vanilla pudding) by all the rocker arms, underneath the oil filler cap and underneath your valve covers. Don't get all bent outa shape . . . . change your PCV and your oil and that should fix it. If you do that and the problem still persists, then look deeper into what Injuneer suggests.
        Darrin C
        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

thanks for the suggestions guys im gonna give the pcv a try on sat. hopefully that fixes it

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
          2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Where abouts is the actual pcv valve located on an lt1? I know where the hose is but my haynes manual says its in the intake plenum and i always thought it was in the valve cover

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
            2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

You're on the wrong side of the engine. The line on the passenger side, from the throttle body to the valve cover SUPPLIES filtered, MAF measured air to the crankcase. That air is pulled through the crankcase, up through the lifter valley and through a passage on the bottom of the intake manifold, by the PCV valve. The PCV valve is mounted on the intake manifold, drivers side, in the middle. On you 94, there will most likely be a short U-shaped hose, that doubles back to the upper part of the plenum.

You can see the PCV valve grommet in this pic, and the u-bend hose, below all the other vacuum connections on the driver's side of the intake.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the pic, what is the purpose of the hose going into my p-side valve cover i always thought that was the pcv valve

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Originally posted by gimp19
                  Thanks for the pic, what is the purpose of the hose going into my p-side valve cover i always thought that was the pcv valve
                  You didn't read the complete answer above:
                  The line on the passenger side, from the throttle body to the valve cover SUPPLIES filtered, MAF measured air to the crankcase. That air is pulled through the crankcase, up through the lifter valley and through a passage on the bottom of the intake manifold, by the PCV valve.
                  Fred

Comment

i got it now thanks

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                    2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Working...
                    X