Cleaned the MAF and Throttle body.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned the MAF and Throttle body.

I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body and the engine is running better than ever. It idles a whole lot smoother and doesnt have that jerky feel at light accelaration. The tach needle is now rock steady like new. WOT accelaration feels about the same but I havent been dogging it either.
    I cleaned the three electronic things on the MAF with Q-tips and electronic parts cleaner and replaced the screen. I completely dismantled the throttle body and it cleaned up nicely, got all that black crap out of it and the IAC and the TPS. Definitely time well spent.
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

I did the exact same thing before I put my car away for the winter. It works wonders, and is definitely time well spent. Good job!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

spray some intake cleaner down the thottle body and there be a deff difference for sure
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Oh yea, cleaning the MAF, if dirty, does wonders. My results were the same as yours. The idle is about 25 RPM higher, 100 times smoother, and a low end hesitation was nearly gone. For mine, at least, it somehow decreased my split BLMs at idle problem. It doesn't make sense on how, but I have several scans before and after the cleaning.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

ok,
          i'm interested in doing the same thing. can you guys explain the process in greater detail. cleaning the maf, cleaning the throttle body and intake. also whats the correct way to "spray some intake cleaner down the thottle body and there be a deff difference for sure" car running or not etc. what kind of cleaners did you guys buy for the connections? throttle body etc..
          thanks,
          ed 95 Z28 A4
          1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

i just installed slp maf so it should be clean but i wonder if you guys take TB appart from manifold when you clean it? because lastime i clean the front tb only. and what kinda spay do i use to clean tb and manifold?
            2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
            SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
            Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
            http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

I just sprayed the electronic cleaner on swabs and wiped those three little elements. Yes they are fragile but not that fragile and were easy to clean. I wiped the black crap off them and sprayed the whole thing dow. After that I just blew air through the TB, eplaced the screen and bolted it back up.
              Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

To clean the TB you need to first get a gasket set for it. There is a gasket between the TB and the intake manifold as well as gaskets on top and below.

remove it, take it all apart (do not remove the throttle blades themselves), clean it all up well with carb cleaner and reassemble it with fresh gaskets. It might be possible to re-use some of your gaskets but I would recommend replacing them because they are cheap.

I would not recommend just leaving it on the car and spraying it down with anything. The cleaner can form a sludge with the dirt and gook up the IAS resulting in an off idle stumble. I say this from experience. To truely get it clean you really need to take it apart and do it right.

I like to use a polishing tip on my dremel to shine it up really nice inside before reassembling it all. Don't remove any metal, just shine it up really nice so the air flows over it easier.

Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

guys,
                  going to clean the maf and tb today. is it safe to spray the maf sensor on the inside and clean it up good? or should i just clean the 3 little elements with the electronic parts cleaner + q tips and just wipe down the inside of the maf with a dust rug? don't want to mess up the maf.
                  eddie
                  1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Again I cleaned the little elements CAREFULLY with a the cleaner and a swab. I think that just spraying the inside is not good enough. It never felt like for a second I was going to damage the elements, they are attached very well. Just use a very light touch,

Comment

Working...
                    X