Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please: 1995 Camaro Convertible v6. to V8, or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please: 1995 Camaro Convertible v6. to V8, or not?

I'm new to this site and I was cruising through the threads for info on a V6 to V8 conversion. I came across a thread where the v8 guys were trying to convince the v6 owner to just sell the car and buy a stock LT1 instead. I respect and understand this advice, but I think my case is a little different. Tell me if I'm wrong.

First, I got this 1995 Camaro Convertible with a brand new top in a trade for my 1994 Ford Ranger. Don't ask how or why, it just happened that way. So, I sorta got this Camaro handed to me. Nothing terribly wrong with it either... its just in desperate need of a brake job.

Second, I love the convertible and I don't want a hardtop/t-top.

Third, I'd like to keep this car for a while. Even if I buy something else as a daily driver, I don't want to give up my f-body. With that said, I really like the idea of dropping a v8 and tougher tranny in that has zero miles on it instead of getting a LT1 that has a used and worn out engine.

Forth, and probably the most convincing. My father, a fellow car enthusiast, has a 350ci 4 bolt main, and a steel crank sitting in his garage that he said he would give to me. I understand that even with the block and crank, I'm looking at $4k, $5k, or maybe $6k for this conversion.

Ideally, I'd like a streetable 400-450hp. What would that be in a 1/4 mile? 12 seconds? Please give me your opinions/advice. I welcome it all... the good and the bad.
    1995 Camaro Convertible V6 - contemplating swapping out for LT1 or begin the V6 to V8 conversion. Hmmmm...

put a supercharger on that hoss, not only would you be a sleeper, but you would be streetable and save on gas. I think it would be around 400hp right? but yeah supercharge it.

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

12 wit 400hp motor? first off u gonna need to strength up the chassis. the V8 cars have stronger chassis thent he v6 cu of the hp difference. instead of a LT1 swap, look into a LS1 swap, better motor, and they are coming down in price
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

actually I've been drinking, and now that he has mentioned the suspention problems that would arise.. yeah, you might be better off just getting a z28.

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

Lots of work, and lots of money. Even if you had a donor v-8 car its a lot of work. The 350 your dad has probably won't fit, you would need the Lt-1 engine (distributor is on front of engine because the rear of the engine sits below the windshield) because of wiring, and the PCM.

Get the v-6 to run good, if you are still not happy, sell it and buy a v-8 car.
          The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by pete
            Lots of work, and lots of money. Even if you had a donor v-8 car its a lot of work. The 350 your dad has probably won't fit, you would need the Lt-1 engine (distributor is on front of engine because the rear of the engine sits below the windshield) because of wiring, and the PCM.

Get the v-6 to run good, if you are still not happy, sell it and buy a v-8 car.
            Correct that the V8 your dad has will not fit in your car unless it is a LT1 with the distributor on the front of the motor. The windshield cowl would prevent the use of a conventional small block chevy distributor. It is possible you could install the motor assembled with minimal clearancing, but if the intake / distributor ever required servicing you would need to pull the engine to do it.

You would be far better off selling the car to purchase a V8. This is sound advise, not just hot air.

If you are stubborn and insist on converting your car, the only way to do it without the cost going out of control would be to purchase a running V8 donor car and transfer the parts onto your car. You'll be surprised how many parts you'll need. The V6 and V8 F-bodys are very different cars.

You'll need: $$$

complete engine with starter, flywheel, water pump, injection, ignition, wiring harness, computer and all sensors
            complete transmission with shifter, clutch / touque converter, bell housing and master / slave cylinders or coolant lines.
            Motor mounts, transmission mount, crossmember
            radiator and all hoses as well as fuel lines, The V6 fuel lines are different.
            all accessories, brackets and belt.
            V8 driveshaft, the V6 uses a two piece driveshaft.
            complete V8 rear differential / axle housing with disc brakes and limited slip
            V8 style front springs to carry the extra weight of the heavier motor
            V8 gauge pod and dash harness. The V6 gauges will not work.
            Complete exhaust system including exhaust manifolds, y-pipe, catalytic converter(s) intermediate pipe, muffler and tailpipes.
            V8 anti-sway bars. the V8 cars got stiffer ones than the V6 cars.

And too many oner little misc. parts to even think of.

Get the picture?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
              12 wit 400hp motor? first off u gonna need to strength up the chassis. the V8 cars have stronger chassis thent he v6 cu of the hp difference. instead of a LT1 swap, look into a LS1 swap, better motor, and they are coming down in price
              Other than a few suspension components, the V8 and V6 cars got the exact same chasis. I would not say the V8 chasis is stronger. That is about all they had in common, though aside from body panels and interiors. Pretty much every moving part is different from V8 car to V6 car.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the input. I didn't even realize that 350 wouldn't fit. And as far as the chassis and suspension, I was already planning on upgrading the front suspension, shocks, and springs with products from BMR. My father is also a master welder, so I was going to lend the car's rigidity over to him and his expertise. He has been hotrodding for a long long time now. The first thing to go in is a 4 point (maybe 6 pt) roll bar.

TraceZ, when you say, "Pretty much every moving part is different from V8 car to V6 car." I'm assuming 'everything' includes engine, cooling, tranny, rear end, suspension, and brakes. Right? Or is there something I'm leaving out? Also the non-moving items would be different as well, such as electronics, CPU, fuel delivery, wiring, and the likes.

I guess if I want to go forward with this project, the best thing to do is to go down to the Atlanta auction and get a wrecked Z28 and start from there. OR... perhaps getting this Camaro decked out with upgrades that can be transferred over to a Z28 Convertible later on. Such as the wheels/tires, the interior/sound... aaaaaaaand that's about it. lol
                1995 Camaro Convertible V6 - contemplating swapping out for LT1 or begin the V6 to V8 conversion. Hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by brandon1934
                  TraceZ, when you say, "Pretty much every moving part is different from V8 car to V6 car." I'm assuming 'everything' includes engine, cooling, tranny, rear end, suspension, and brakes. Right? Or is there something I'm leaving out? Also the non-moving items would be different as well, such as electronics, CPU, fuel delivery, wiring, and the likes.
                  Correct, every moving part refers to the list in my first reply.

You'll need: $$$
                  Originally posted by TraceZ
                  complete engine with starter, flywheel, water pump, injection, ignition, wiring harness, computer and all sensors
                  complete transmission with shifter, clutch / touque converter, bell housing and master / slave cylinders or coolant lines.
                  Motor mounts, transmission mount, crossmember
                  radiator and all hoses as well as fuel lines, The V6 fuel lines are different.
                  all accessories, brackets and belt.
                  V8 driveshaft, the V6 uses a two piece driveshaft.
                  complete V8 rear differential / axle housing with disc brakes and limited slip
                  V8 style front springs to carry the extra weight of the heavier motor
                  V8 gauge pod and dash harness. The V6 gauges will not work.
                  Complete exhaust system including exhaust manifolds, y-pipe, catalytic converter(s) intermediate pipe, muffler and tailpipes.
                  V8 anti-sway bars. the V8 cars got stiffer ones than the V6 cars.
                  Your idea to deck out the V6 car with mods that can later be transfered to a V8 car is good. I also think your idea of finding a wrecked Z28 and transfering the parts to the V6 car would work. Either way, congratulations on the nice car!
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

Sorry TraceZ, I totally missed that parts listed you posted the first time.

After chewing on it for a while, I think I want to buy a wrecked LT1 at an auction and strip it apart. Get the engine and transmission overhauled/rebuilt, and get everything powdercoated as I take it apart. And while I'm dismantling the LT1, I might as well look into stroking it out to a 383.

I've purchase wrecked vehicles at auctions before, and I've dismantled and rebuilt vehicles before. But never a Camaro. Jeeps and trucks are a little more straight forward.

Comment

TraceZ, I see that you have a 383 project going on right now. Is there a thread about it? How's it coming along?

Comment

If that is what your set on then go for it but....IMHO it is not worth it. Take your car and trade it in on an LT1. You may pay $3000 more as long as your car is in good condition. Just doing a 383 may cost you close to $3000 alone. You will end up putting a lot more money into that car than it is worth. You can find a nice LT1 convertable for not a whole lot. If you want a project buy a higher milage LT1 which will be dirt cheap and rebuild it as a 383. If you can't seem to let go of your car though the donor car is the way to go I understand how it feels to not want to get rid of a vehicle but remeber its a vehicle you'll be able to fall in love all over again with a nice V8.
                        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by brandon1934
                          TraceZ, I see that you have a 383 project going on right now. Is there a thread about it? How's it coming along?

I'm still in the "parts gathering" stage. I need more money for the project before it goes any further. It is a "long term" project, I hope to complete within a year or two. The car will need headers before the motor goes in also.

Here is the project plan so far. It might end up being a 396 and the list is subject to change. I might not even use some of the parts I have.

Parts already obtained:

• 4 bolt LT1 cylinder block with main caps
                          • Powdered Metal 5.7” connecting rods
                          • Roller lifters with guides
                          • Windage try with fasteners
                          • Rear main seal ring with fasteners
                          • Lifter guide spider with fasteners
                          • Timing cover with fasteners
                          • Cam retainer with fasteners
                          • Water pump drive with fasteners
                          • Oil pan with bolt rails and fasteners
                          • Water pump with fasteners, thermostat and thermostat housing
                          • Accessory brackets
                          • Valve covers with fasteners
                          • Stub shaft for oil pump drive with fastener
                          • Pushrods
                          • Oil Pump Pickup
                          • Crank Hub
                          • Timing Set

Parts needed

• Eagle 3.750” LT1 crankshaft or similar
                          • Keith Black hypereutectic pistons or similar
                          • Ported and assembled stock LT1 heads
                          • LT1 intake manifold, ported
                          • 52 mm Ported Stock LT1 throttle body
                          • Self aligning 1.6 ratio roller rockers
                          • Oil pump and drive rod
                          • Camshaft
                          • Optispark Distributor
                          • Spark Plugs
                          • Spark Plug Wires
                          • Harmonic Balancer
                          • Flywheel
                          • Gasket Set
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:

Comment

TraceZ, thats sweet bro. Keep us posted on that project. That's definitely something I'd like to hear about as it developes

After giving thought to the trading the v6 in for a LT1... seeing this bad boy on eBay has given me a little more perspective. How much do you think this one will end up going for?

I'm still thinking about it though.

Comment

With those rims I hope not a whole lot more lol. It probably won't break 7k. If you don't mind me asking what is the budget you are working with?
                              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Working...
                              X