opiniions on flowmaster american thunder catback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opiniions on flowmaster american thunder catback

opiniions on flowmaster american thunder catback???

power gains?

performance??

sound???

quality???
    1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

gains: little or

performance: similar to stock muffler

Sound: This is the part of conterversy. Some like it and some dont. Its very mellow and it makes me sleepy to ride shotgun in my car. (i have flows) I personally like them but im just leaning more toward performance and originality. Around here every mustang, camaro, truck and so on have flows and they all sound the same.

quality: They rust out after a year or so and start to look tackey.

Comment

the whole cat-back system i already have the muffler, the 3 inch intermediate pipe and 80series muffler combo the whole thing
      1994 firebird formula

Comment

I've heard it, and all I can say is it's pretty loud. However, that's about the only positive thing about it. It sounds "tinny" at high RPMs, and the hp gain won't be as much as a better cat-back.
        If you already have the equipment, then it wouldn't hurt to put it together. It definitely helps to get the 3" I-pipe there, in terms of power.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

i dont have the 3 inch pipe, only the muffler its already on but i just found out that midas sells flowmaster now, my uncle is 3rd down from president of the entire executive company, hell be vice in a few years, get my drift?
          1994 firebird formula

Comment

Well, if you can get it for free, then I'd do it. However, if you're willing to spend an extra $300-$600, then get the Loudmouth or Borla. It's also a matter or personal preference...
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

One word.....Dynomax. Dynomax UltraFlo's have such an awesome sound it's not even funny. If you like a raw distorted sound, sure....opt for the flows. But if you like a bassy respect demanding rumble, Dynomax is your answer. Just remember that if you go for the Dynomax to get the UltraFlo! Oh....and, they don't make the series muffler required to make our f-bodies look like they have duals (like the stock and a few other mufflers do. Just do a single in - dual out of one side. Trust me....you'll love the sound....I know I do.

Thats just my $.02
              1995 Blue T-Top 3.8L Auto Firebird
              1991 Blue T-Top 5.0L TBI Auto Camaro RS

Comment

anyone have the flowmaster part number 17274 on their LT1?
                1994 firebird formula

Comment

i have a dynomax system on my car and it keeps the factory fake duals
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Unusual95BlueBird
                    One word.....Dynomax. Dynomax UltraFlo's have such an awesome sound it's not even funny. If you like a raw distorted sound, sure....opt for the flows. But if you like a bassy respect demanding rumble, Dynomax is your answer. Just remember that if you go for the Dynomax to get the UltraFlo! Oh....and, they don't make the series muffler required to make our f-bodies look like they have duals (like the stock and a few other mufflers do. Just do a single in - dual out of one side. Trust me....you'll love the sound....I know I do.

Thats just my $.02
                    that might not be too helpful seein that a v8 sounds very diff. to a v6
                    1967 Camaro "Project"
                    1972 Chevelle "454"
                    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

someone has to have this kit or the flowmaster american thunder cat back on their LT1
                      1994 firebird formula

Comment

Originally posted by Unusual95BlueBird
                        Just remember that if you go for the Dynomax to get the UltraFlo! Oh....and, they don't make the series muffler required to make our f-bodies look like they have duals (like the stock and a few other mufflers do. Just do a single in - dual out of one side.
                        Yes, they do make the right style Ultra-Flo muffler.

http://www.rudyswheels.com/firebird1/exhaust.php

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                        '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                        Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by bru333
                          Yes, they do make the right style Ultra-Flo muffler.

http://www.rudyswheels.com/firebird1/exhaust.php
                          My bad...I got the dynomax on my camaro 5 years ago....they didn't have it back then. Hell, noone even hurd of dynomax when I got mine.
                          1995 Blue T-Top 3.8L Auto Firebird
                          1991 Blue T-Top 5.0L TBI Auto Camaro RS

Comment

Everyone loves my Flowmasters. My friend Rich refers to them as being "obnoxiously loud". He loves them and he giggles like school girl every time i give it the gas. I think they sound mean and throaty. Good luck
                            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                            SOLD- Kinda miss it
                            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                            SOLD- Good riddance!
                            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Don't have the American Thunder system, but heard it and a similar custom setup. Its loud, but not great. If its free, go for it. If not, Loudmouth. Blows just about everyone else away in terms of flow and sound, complete 3" system and completely stainless steel. Go to www.ls1sounds.com to hear just about every system made for the 4th Gen. But, if you've gotta pay, then stay away from the Flowmaster setups. They rust, they're mediocre on sound and they don't offer much of anything on power gains.
                              Steve
                              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                              X