camaro vs trans am: what to buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camaro vs trans am: what to buy

i used to own a 95 Thunderbird 4.6l nice car nice engine but terrible take off allways got beat by camros, i think ford had their intake limited plus they are pigs...
    anyways im looking at 3 options here now i need your help in,
    94' trans am dunno mileage didnt test drive yet, but itsa hard top looks in good condition
    96' Z28 32,000 km (kilometers) so thats about 20k mileage the car drove awsome i was marveled at its power but thing is the car has been standing for 5 years or so and 1.5 of those years is in sea air (next to sea) hence humidity, it look slike its been sprayed over so i cant get a good idea of how clean the body is might have lotsa rust underneat etc... and it has T tops, hence lift back trunk great for sound system
    95' convertable V6 camaro 3.4l, now here is a beut but no power this is weaker than my old thunderbird, no trunk space for subs, but good gas mileage factory cd player, 96,000 km (60k mileage)

there is $2k difference between the camaros the V6 convertable is $2k more expensive

main question is what is the performance differance between the Z28 and the trans am, and would u go for the V6 to save gas or to have a convertable or for both options? or would u head for raw horse power of the V8 and forget about the convertable?

from what I have picked up, for equivalent years, there is no performance difference between the Z28 and the T/A, at least for 4th gens. The T/A/ probably comes standard with more bells and whistles that the Z28 will have as optional.

Personally I would take the power over the drop top option, but that is something you have to ultimately answer, get what you will want in the long run.
    Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

As long as the 96 camaro isnt an SS with the Ram Air etc.., the two V8's should perform about the same (in theory) The 96 might be a bit quicker, I think the LT1 might have another 10 HP or so (could be wrong). Anyways, they should be pretty darn close (high 13 sec cars) I like the styling of the Pontiac, but that just personal opinion. I wouldn't trade power for a convertable. Im not a big fan of the V6. If you want gas mileage, Honda makes a few nice cars and they have a back seat.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

what are the HP on those roughly? are they anywere close to or over 300 HP?

what about the V6 would it be close to my old Tbird? the Tbird i belive was about 200-220 not too sure is the V6 arround 180?

PS: Thanx for your opinions guys

Comment

the base LT1 was around 275-285 in those years. The ram air versions were rated at 305 or so. Im not sure about the V6, it is pretty snappy for a 6 though. Probably a good run for the t-bird.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

V6 is around 200 hp. Not an option in my book.
            93-95 1/2 LT1 V8 is 275 hp (single cat)
            95 1/2-97 LT1 V8 is 285 hp (dual cats)

Mind you that horse power varries greatly from the factory on a per engine basis. Some have more power than others.

93-94 LT1s have a non vented opti spark which is more prone to haveing problems.
            93-94 Have OBD1 computer
            95 have OBD1 computer with OBDII connector. (PITA)
            96-97 have OBDII computer

In Atlanta we have emision testing. If you have an OBDII computer they just plug a scanner in and check for codes. If you have an older car they put it on a rolling chassis load thing and do a snif check in the exhaust. I wish I had a 96 because of this. This would make it easier to do mods and still pass the emissions testing.

Some people say the OBDI computer (1994) is easier to mod.

Personally I go with the newest technology I can because the old outdates itself.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

can anyone estimate a run between the V6 and a 95 BMW 325 V6
              i think the BMW is lighter but a 2.5 vs 3.4 any guestimation here?
              i know the BMW 328 would be faster more factory tweaked out

Comment

Originally posted by b3master
                can anyone estimate a run between the V6 and a 95 BMW 325 V6
                i think the BMW is lighter but a 2.5 vs 3.4 any guestimation here?
                I don't have numbers to back it, but knowing how much BMW gets out of the smaller engines, and based on the fact that probably the V6 'vert will be heavier (~3400) than the Beemer (around 3200 I think), I would expect the Beemer to be faster ... my stock '98 V6 'Vert made the 1/4 in the 15's (just barely, though), but the 3.4 has a couple less HP (98 has 193 at the wheels) ...
                Garry Glendown * '00 Firehawk M6 #92 * '98 Camaro V6 Convertible

Comment

a guy cant get any more confused then me right now, i am clueless on what i wanna buy right now...

but a main point might wanna look at is i dont live in the states, i live in the middle east lebanon, so gas here believe it or not is more expensive and not clean at all and labor for american car is harder to find and so is parts, as for beemers anyone all arround knows how to fix and parts are everywere, and the car prices arent to bad here....
                  oh yea cant forget to mention the roads/streets here its terrible so american suspension wont last long compared to german suspension...
                  but i want a muscle car really bad but itsa terrible idea for this country
                  i am a sucker for V8s and since i "want" a V8 might as well make it a power V8

:

i have right now a mercades 88' 260e that i would gladly throw away or even ditch down a hill dam thing doesnt move unless u always give it a kick down jeez it wastes more gas then the Z28

Comment

I have a 96 Z28 I picked up in 2001 with 7400 miles on it. It now has 25,000 and runs great. If I was picking between 94 and 96, I would have to go with the 96 due to the vented opti, OBDII and 285 horses vs. 275. I love that car and getting it was the best auto decision I ever made.

Geez, I didn't know the Camaro offered a 6 cylinder version...(just kidding)

Comment

Don't get the 3.4 V6; I don't remember what the hp was on those...I think 165-180ish, but they were a short run until they used the 3.8 that had 200hp, and the 3800 series 3.8 is a much better engine. If you can afford the insurance, definitely get the LT1 car; you won't be disappointed. The difference between the Z28 and the T/A is totally personal preference. Both are equal in performance, the Z28 may be a little lighter. The T/A generally has more options standard. If you go with an LT1 engine, you have the jacked-up opti and hard plug and wire change problem. Other then the plug and wire change, I love my '97 T/A.
                      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

well i did decide not to go with V8 because of gas milege but markd79ta also pointed out very important point is that 3.4 is weak and the 3.8 would be my best choice, now if i can only FIND ONE ill be doing car shopping today i hope i find a 3.8 since it is sooo close to the T-bird 200 vs 220 and it is a much lighter car much more apealing not choked gas/air intake like ford did with the T-bird, and after all itsa chevy the biggest difference i see that i like is the tranny quick swift tranny shifting is what i love most about chevy

Comment

Working...
                        X