GM News: Bob Lutz transfers out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM News: Bob Lutz transfers out.

DETROIT — General Motors Corp. (GM) said on Monday that Chief Executive Rick Wagoner (search) will assume the leadership of automotive operations in North America, where the car company has been losing money and market share.

Bob Lutz, chairman of GM North America, and Gary Cowger, president of GM North America, will relinquish their roles and focus full-time on global responsibilities. Lutz will lead GM's global product development activities, and Cowger will focus on global manufacturing and labor.

The moves follow last month's warning by the Detroit automaker that its earnings this year would be as much as 80 percent below its forecast, due to U.S. market share losses to foreign competitors and climbing health-care costs.

"Given the challenges we face in North America, it makes sense for me to assume control of GMNA's (General Motors North America) day-to-day operations and shorten the lines of communication and decision-making," Wagoner said in a statement.

Last month, GM reorganized its global vehicle development and engineering operations, combining four different regions into a single system to speed up the launch of new cars and trucks.

"Now's the right time to accelerate the global integration of two of our most important functions, product development and manufacturing/labor," Wagoner said.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Here is a link to a more comprehensive article http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/04/news...gm_leadership/

To me this quote from the article says it all:

GM's current leadership is responsible for the woes at its North American operations. This is like moving around the chairs on the deck of the Titanic," said Peter Morici, business professor at the University of Maryland. He said that GM needs to address what he called GM's "bloated bureaucracy."
    2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S

To me this quote from the article says it all:

GM's current leadership is responsible for the woes at its North American operations. This is like moving around the chairs on the deck of the Titanic," said Peter Morici, business professor at the University of Maryland. He said that GM needs to address what he called GM's "bloated bureaucracy."
      Well...... that pretty much sums things up.

Comment

This last weekend I attended the autoshow here in Denver. The only GM vehicles that I looked at were the Vette, SSR and the Sky...the rest I could care less about. Heck, I spent more time looking at the imports then I did in the GM section. Pretty Sad. The boys over at DC had everybody's attention. The Ford GT stold the show and there was far more interest in it then the Z06. It was amazing how few people were looking at GM's trucks...it was a ghost town when I looked over there. Their rebadged Lesabre and Park Avenue (Lacrosse & Lucerne) had few if any interest when I walked by there going to the Sky exhibit. Their program to change the names of their cars and stuff a 5.3 horizontally imposed V8 in them is going to fail miserably. They had this big exhibit, twice the size of the Z06, with the new Impala...there were about five people standing in front of it during their presentation. But, one couldn't find a place to stand during the Sky presentation. I guess that should tell them something, shouldn't it? Overall, it was pretty dead in their section. VW, DC, and Honda were the places were you had to wait in line. Actually, I love the new 6sp LS2 SSR, but it is priced so far out of its market.
        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
          Actually, I love the new 6sp LS2 SSR, but it is priced so far out of its market.

The SSR doesn't really have a market, it's a one of a kind vehicle so GM thinks it can price it any way it wants and people will be banging on the doors to get one. They're insane. There's nothing in that vehicle that puts it into the price range they're asking. Sure it's got a high-tech V8 and a retractable hardtop, but GM has to remember it's a 2 seat vehicle with limited practical abilities. i guess they're trying to make it a niche vehicle like the Corvette but it has neither the Corvette history or the performance to justify Corvette prices. If they made the SSR actually usefull to own and/or chopped about 10 grand off the price, then they'd probably sell.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
            If they made the SSR actually usefull to own and/or chopped about 10 grand off the price, then they'd probably sell.

I love the SSR; it would be a fun vehicle that could replace the T/A. A much better replacement then the rebadged Monaro. However, those that bought WS6 Trans Ams as a second "fun" car, when they were new, were upper middle class, typically in their 30s and 40s, who had other priorities then buying a $50,000 Vette. I would buy the SSR today if it were 35k or under. I am not going to drop 50k on it. There were several people looking at the SSR with me. Their comment. "...not going to pay $50,000 for this car!"
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
              I love the SSR; it would be a fun vehicle that could replace the T/A. A much better replacement then the rebadged Monaro. However, those that bought WS6 Trans Ams as a second "fun" car, when they were new, were upper middle class, typically in their 30s and 40s, who had other priorities then buying a $50,000 Vette. I would buy the SSR today if it were 35k or under. I am not going to drop 50k on it. There were several people looking at the SSR with me. Their comment. "...not going to pay $50,000 for this car!"
              Precisely! People are willing to pay $50k for an SUV they can use everyday, but not for a second vehicle. And those who can would go for a vette or viper, especially if you're only looking for a 2 seater.
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
              X