Enineering Students???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enineering Students???

I was looking at the classes that I will have coming up for my mechanical engineering degree and it looked kind of intimidating. I was wondering how hard college was for those of you with your engineering degrees or currently in the process of getting it. I'm only a junior in high school and I have the highest grade in my Trig/pre calc class with a 99%, so i'm not too worried about the math classes. My senior year, I will be taking physics and calculus. How hard is college going to be?
    1993 Formula - 99k
    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Recently one of our Mechanical engineers went out on medical leave for a back operation. I was asked to fill in for him. I don't have a ME degree. I came from the machine shop transferring into engineering as a mechanical designer where I work on a CAD all day. During my time as engineer all I did was go to meetings, direct other designers and the worst thing of all which is go to incoming inspection and disposition parts. This is where a part comes in from our shop or an outside shop and is out of tolerance. I have to decide whether to scrap it, fix it, or use it as is. What a PITA it is. They can keep there ME job. I'd rather be a designer where I can invent things all day. I do wish I had access to the stress and thermal analysis tools. That would help me do a better job designing things. I have to get a ME to run my designs and tell me what to tweak. I have asked them for the software but at $19,000 a pop for Nastran I can't get it.

The first 2 years of college are you basic crap. The 4 main food groups math, English, science, and history. It's not until later that you get into the good stuff.

A piece of advice, get into a co-op program with an engineering company when you get to college. This will give you a leg up on your résumé when you graduate. A lot of times after you graduate, the company you are interning with will turn you to full time.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I am a Mechanical Engineering Technologist and went to college in Canada for it.

I agree with Jeff 95 z28 that you should find a college with a Co-op, it helps a TON and I do mean that. You can usully get into a good copany thru a co-op placement easyer then just looking for a job at.

One thing that I didn't know about is P-eng, it is REALY important that where ever you attend that you can get your P-Eng with it. It will help you out alot later on when you try to find a job and the possition you can get.

Mechanical Engineers are basicly the jack of all traids for manufacturing. Your courses will be HEAVY in math and physics. I would even say a machining course would help you a ton to if you want a design possition.

English is a varry minor topic as you may tell from my post . Statistics, Calculus, Physics and geometry. Usully Drafting isn't asked for but I would take couses in that. Get a basic understanding of ACAD and design with that will also help a ton.

Keep in mind that if you want to make money be a Doctor, if you want to have fun be a Engineer. Good luck
      94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

If you are getting the highest math and physics grades in your class, you will make it though college just fine. Dont let difficulty level get in the way of what you WANT to do. I didnt have the hardest major in the world, and I went to a state university, but I thought it was a cake walk. Is it harder than high school? Yes, but you adapt. It's your full time job for years! The only way you'll flunk out is if you get into the party crowd. Have a good time, but dont be stupid. No point in paying tens of thousands to drink all day. You can do that at home for free!
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

i will be attending school in the fall for mechanical engineering as my major. I will be going to York in PA. Supposed to have a very good co-op program. I wanted to know what jobs out there can you work with and design cars with a mechanical engineering degree.
          -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

Hey, I'm 20, live in MO, went to the University of Missouri-Rolla, the premier engineering college in the midwest. But decided to change directions and focus more on construction than engineering. But definetely try to Co-Op and study as much physics and Calculus as you can. And get a girlfriend NOW, cause you ain't gonna find one if you're studying engineering and expect good grades.
            '86 IROC-Z
            383 stroker: AFR 195 heads, KB 11.5:1 hypereutectic pistons, scat crank/Eagle rods
            TPIS Mini Ram injection system, 58mm, 24lb/hr
            "borrowed" T-56 and 3.73 rear
            2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

New ground fx, bra, Borla tuneable quad tip w/headers
            MSD ig, 1.6 rollers, accel, moroso

Comment

Originally posted by IROCker
              Hey, I'm 20, live in MO, went to the University of Missouri-Rolla, the premier engineering college in the midwest. But decided to change directions and focus more on construction than engineering. But definetely try to Co-Op and study as much physics and Calculus as you can. And get a girlfriend NOW, cause you ain't gonna find one if you're studying engineering and expect good grades.
              Haha! Its defenately not a business degree!

You are going to be spending lots of time in the Math / Physics (some chem... very little english) . I was in CS (Computer Science) and i LOVE the ME 100X more! Its tough, but the people are awsome to work with. Your first 2 years should be fairly easy (with the grades your getting in HS). I went to an advanced HS and passed with B average... and college isnt much harder. Just dont let your guard down. Its more difficult in the sense of disciplining yourself to do your homework (which is often NOT collected), actually going to class (no absence policy), and unlike HS the professors could care less if you pass or fail. You are on your own. Try to save as much $ if you can now, working is very hard while in college (if your parents arent paying). And make study groups your best friend! Haha... Good luck!!
              99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Working...
              X