Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFB..What was your worst college experience?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB..What was your worst college experience?

Its 8:30AM right now and I'm taking a quick study break to jump in for a shower. I've been studying since 9PM last night and went to bed a few minutes before 6AM. I had my girlfriend call me at 8AM before her class and wake me up. I have a human biology exam and have to know every part of the endocrine system, circulatory system, every artery and vein in the heart, also every chamber of the heart, digestive system, and reproductive system. Also included on the test will be 10 chapters out of the book and 15 pages front and back of notes (and I write really small) on how they all work. I've been studying hard for this exam for about a week but just didn't feel like I had a good enough grasp on it all so I studied all of last night and will up until I take the test at 12:30. Biggest problem is this isn't even a core course in my business major its just a gen ed.

What were some of your worst college experiences? And I'm talking about for a class not the time you had one to many at a party and woke up next to a girl that weighed more than you did lol.
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

worst was taking "theory of Computation" (hardest Computer Science/Math course I had to take) taught at UWF by a researcher in Artificial Intelligence, who was forced to teach the course, at the same time he was going through a horrible divorce, taught at graduate level, even though is was an undergrad course, deliberately to fail, or get rid of all his students. The instructor had to be there at 2pm, he started driving at 1 pm (55 miles to ext campus), and did not leave till 10pm (extension campus) and did not get home till 11pm, 2 days a week, for one single class he did everything to avoid teaching. Safe to say, 95% of the class failed (including me) and only two had passing grades. I had to retake the course... (not due to material but soley due to instructor) same material different teacher, I got a B next time (and had to use my one forgiveness for)
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Comment

94formula, good luck on your exam today, hope you do well!

My worst experience is probably my last quarter as an undergrad. I needed 2 more upper division math classes to get the math minor. And, as all the CS majors know, upper division math isn't about application anymore...it's about theory . At the same time, I also took 2 CS classes that weren't easy. Needless to say, everyday I came home from class, I hit the books to do homework every night, from the minute I got home, to midnight. It also didn't help that the Geometry theory professor was a total moron. I had to see him after every exam to explain to him my answers...so he can give me credit. For example, if you show complete understanding for a question, and give a good answer...however, leave out a small step or are off in a tiny spot, he will give you 1/10 points and you practically fail. I should have listened to the warnings on reviewum.com
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I'd say the worst class I ever took was, incredibly, Philosophy 101. The guy was a serious darwinist, and half of his class always failed. I did the best I could for about a month in there, but it got to the point where me and a bunch of my high school friends (who were all weekly church-goers) just got tired of him shoving this crap down our throats, asking our opinion, and we'd sit by and say nothing. So when he started in on his evolution, and whoever that guy is that says "every man wants to sleep with his mother", we would start in with the bible. We already knew we were going to fail, so we figured we might as well try to open his mind (it was too late to drop the class). But this guy could come back at just about everything that we had to say. We ended up prevailing (amazingly, because he couldn't debate us on the big-bang theory, when we got to the part where some entity had to created the initial "mass" that exploded, he had no answer). He still failed all of us, but with reason, because we didn't follow the "books answers" when we took tests. The worst class I ever took, no question, and one of only two courses I ever failed in my entire life.
        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Any time the majority of a class, or even half of the class fails a course it is the teacher's fault. The bell curve doesn't work that way. It is as good as admitting to the dean and staff that he can't teach, especially if all of the students are otherwise receiving passing grades. best bet is to get a petition and go straight to the dean.

We had a guy like that for Laplace Transform Analysis - he wrote his own book, which everyone had to buy. The class had a companion lab which was worth 1 credit, yet the labs took one hour to prepare for, 2 hours to do, and as much as 8 hours to write up, and this was twice per week. The dimwit TAs were marking down for everything and there was no partial credit on 10 question exams. Everybody had enough and threatened to not attend or pay for the class and they revised the course. Still, we only graduated about 48 out of a class of 120. I haven't once used his teachings in my professonal career, and I've been an engineer for 17 years.

Comment

We had a guy like that for Laplace Transform Analysis - he wrote his own book, which everyone had to buy.
            This is my second semester at college and both semesers I've had a professor that made the class buy their book.

I just got done with my exam and am pretty certain I got a high A. Pulling an all nighter was definetly worth it. Now I have to sit through one more class from 2-3:15 in this beautiful weather then its time for a cook out at my friends kick a few back and then get some much needed SLEEP!
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Getting a perfect score on a 20 page research paper that the chairman of the fine arts decided to share with the rest of the faculty. That's not the bad part. It got bad when another teacher recognized the fact that I turned in the same research paper in her class. They compared notes and I spent the afternoon trying to save my hiney. I was given one week to redo both research papers and was not allowed to use the original. If I failed, I would lose my scholarship. That was a week from hell. I did manage to do two new papers and each one was aced.

The second worse experience was an ongoing one. Latin as a foreign language at 7:00 am Monday through Thursday....... from a horrible little troll of a woman with the personality of a toad.

Comment

Class- wise probably "stress analysis", at Case Western Reserve, a couple of laps to get through that one.

Otherwise, driving down to OSU in March of 1974 right before our girlfriends mid terms........so the 4 of us had to travel all the bars without them. About 2 am we decided to go streak the "oval". One of our buddies, Dave got caught with his pants down. Spent the next 3 hours trying to find the Columbus city jail and convincing the University cop to write him up for streaking instead of indecent exposure! It was very drunk out that morning.

Dave was the first person in the US to get prosecuted for streaking (not indecent exposure)! He wanted to keep it quiet, but the news services got a hold of the story.... He was named "Streaker King of Parma" by a few of the Cleveland radio stations.
                The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

My worst was having to work 12 hour 3rd shifts from 7pm-7am Sunday night and be at my 8am class Monday morning that was a 35 minute drive from my work. I fell asleep a few times, and had to beg the teacher to understand I was going on no sleep after working 12 hours 3rd shift. I'd go home from class around 12pm Mondays and just crash. I'm surprised I never wrecked my car driving home. I fell lightly asleep a few times while driving but never wrecked.

That job was interesting... I worked 3 12 hour nights... Fri, Sat and Sun. I got paid for 40 hours, but only worked 36, then I had 4 days off.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Hmmm...now that I think about it...I can't think of any!

It's funny how some of what seem like the worst experiences at the time are some of the most memorable. Low crawling through mud...all nighters on engineering projects...doing push-ups till it felt like my arms were going to fall off...even getting yelled at (ah-em, I mean verbally corrected)...

Come to think of it...Maybe I'm just a masochist.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

The day i dropped out, i left there feeling like the biggest bum ever
                      -Nick-
                      95 A4 Z28

Comment

I would have to say the last class I had to finish was the worst (Craig will vouch for me on this lol ). This was the required Operating Systems class that all CS majors had to take...and the hardest class by far. The programs were a pain (Barber Shop and Media Player problems) and the final sucked (also made me worry I wasn't gonna pass since I got a 30% somehow ). CPU Scheduling, Deadlock and Memory Management just aren't the funnest topics around lol
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

even at my age, i remember it all too well. and do the graphic nature of it, i can not post it here.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                            I would have to say the last class I had to finish was the worst (Craig will vouch for me on this lol ). This was the required Operating Systems class that all CS majors had to take...and the hardest class by far. The programs were a pain (Barber Shop and Media Player problems) and the final sucked (also made me worry I wasn't gonna pass since I got a 30% somehow ). CPU Scheduling, Deadlock and Memory Management just aren't the funnest topics around lol
                            lol Steve, yea I know about that...very tough. But another terrible experience we both had was our Java class. Basically, the "professor" badmouths Microsoft the whole class, says how good Sun is, then expects us to know the material left and right and complete difficult programs. I could swear he was hammered from Vodka too lol. I don't know how some people have jobs
                            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                              lol Steve, yea I know about that...very tough. But another terrible experience we both had was our Java class. Basically, the "professor" badmouths Microsoft the whole class, says how good Sun is, then expects us to know the material left and right and complete difficult programs. I could swear he was hammered from Vodka too lol. I don't know how some people have jobs
                              SIMON SUCKS!!!!! If it wasn't Microsoft, it was the U.S. Government or the English language. That guy urked me to no end. There was also the Biology class that we made every attempt to skip (and for good reason lol ).
                              Steve
                              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                              X