Fuel Injector Fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Injector Fire

my friend has an '88 TA that hes going to sell to me for $400. He messed with the injectors somehow and now everytime he gives it gas, they catch on fire. What could be causing this? I havent seen the car yet I actually talked to him about it for the first time today. I just want to know what could be the problem?

And, if I do buy it, I am rebuilding a 400 that i took out of my '80 TA before my mom junked it. Would a rebuilt 400 run good in an '88? I havent done anything crazy to it, just a cam, ported heads, new intake, 800 cfm carb and rocker arms. The crank and pistons are fairly new.

If the guy managed to put the injectors in without the proper 0-ring seal, I could see how the fuel leak might cause a fire. How the engine would even run with that large of an intake leak is questionable. Then there is the issue of why there would be "fire" in the intake...... crossed plug wires, burned intake valve, there could be numerous issues. Will the 400 run, yeah... with the proper wiring conversions but it won't bolt to the trans. Both "400"s of those years.... one being the pontiac 400, the other one was the 403 olds both share the BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) bellhousing arrangement. Chevy has a different pattern.

Comment

Hey thanks man, Im gonna check out the car sometime this week so ill look for anything thast not right. How efficient would a 400 run in that? I dont want to put it in if its not going to run good, I would like to just get it, fix it up a little and sell it for an '80 or earlier TA.

Comment

Working...
      X