A lot of work to do on sunday...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot of work to do on sunday...

I'm taking my car over to my uncle's garage and putting it up on the lift to do some minor work this sunday and was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to make the job go easier. I have to replace the pilot bearing, install my new SLP flywheel, drain and refill the tranny, change the oil, drain the coolant, reseal my intake manifold, put in my NGK spark plugs , and clean the maf and k&n air filter. I am getting a pilot bearing puller and I already have a GM fuel line disconnect but I don't know if there are any other specialty tools like this that i will need for the plugs? I saw that SLP has a spark plug socket but wasn't sure if it would be worth the $22. Any input is greatly appreciated guys. Hopefully it won't be too bad seeing as how i will be using a lift and air tools but just the same... Wish me luck on sunday!!!

Ohh and BTW what should i gap my plugs to???
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

That's a ton of stuff to do in just one day! Since you've got access to a lift, everything should go pretty smooth. Be ready for stuff that needs to be replaced as you discover them -- When I tear my car down, I always find something else that was hiding from me. But as they say in China. . . . Good Ruck.
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

1, Take off the oil pressure sending unit off the back of the motor before you let the back of the transmission down or you may be out buying a new one. AutoZone sells a special deep well socket for removing it. A regular deep well was not deep enough.

2, You can refill the trans through where the sifter mounts rather than using a pump from below. It is much easier.

3. Good luck changing the plug on cylinder #2. It took me several hours to get the new plug back in. My hands are too big. A piece of vacuum hose stuck over the end of the plug can help you spin the plug back in. I changed the other 7 from below. Take off the starter and the alternator.

4. Don't forget to bleed the air out of the coolant after you refill it.

5. Go easy on the oil for the filter. Too much will foul the MAF.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        1, Take off the oil pressure sending unit off the back of the motor before you let the back of the transmission down or you may be out buying a new one. AutoZone sells a special deep well socket for removing it. A regular deep well was not deep enough.
        Hmmm are you sure this is necessary Jeff??? If so do you have pics of what exactly this unit looks like? I have only dropped the tranny twice since i have had the car but both times i never had to take off a oil sending unit. Is it possible it is not required on a 97?
        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
          That's a ton of stuff to do in just one day! Since you've got access to a lift, everything should go pretty smooth. Be ready for stuff that needs to be replaced as you discover them -- When I tear my car down, I always find something else that was hiding from me. But as they say in China. . . . Good Ruck.
          Yeah i am gonna start with draining the fluids and resealing the manifold seeing as how that will take 24 hours to cure, then the tranny, then the plugs, then the maf and filter, then i will button everything up and hope everything runs smooth when i fire her up.
          1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
            Hmmm are you sure this is necessary Jeff??? If so do you have pics of what exactly this unit looks like? I have only dropped the tranny twice since i have had the car but both times i never had to take off a oil sending unit. Is it possible it is not required on a 97?
            My understanding is 94-97 are the same. It is possible to take it out without breaking it. I broke mine. Your call. Here is a picture of it.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
            X