Finally finished the exhaust system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally finished the exhaust system

Ever since the Gear Vendor install, I've been running with ONLY Borla XR-1 shorties on the collectors of my AS&M headers. It was kinda loud and no longer passes tech at out local track. They now require an exhaust that ends past the rear edge of the door.

So, it was off to Mufflex this morning for some extensions and turndowns. Nice to watch them mandrel bend the 3" pipe to put the tips right where I wanted them, and make up some custom hangers.

They also have a noise limit of 90dB @ 100-ft, under full power. Not sure if I'll pass that, but if I don't I have another set of turndowns with noise reduction cones in them. I'm hoping that aiming the turndowns toward the center of the car will minimize the noise.

Nice to not have the exhaust booming right under the front seats.... .

A quick trip to the dyno to check the tune, and I might actually make it to the track this year.

MUFFLEX rocks!!!
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Nice work...very clean job.

I have a similar set-up, however I turned my pipes outward.

Makes a real pretty sound when it bounces off passing cars
    and highway barriers!

Comment

Re: Finally finished the exhaust system

Originally posted by Injuneer

I'm hoping that aiming the turndowns toward the center of the car will minimize the noise.

That depends.... aiming them under the car will increase the low frequency resonance. Since the highs are what typically peg the db meters, you may be OK there, but driving the car to and from the track may be just as annoying as before.

Comment

I'm going to check the noise levels with my trusty Radio Shack noise level meter (the same one the track uses) while its on the engine dyno. I realize the fact that the car is in an enclosed building will affect the readings 100-ft away on the outside, but hopefully I can see if the noise cones help, and how much power they cost.

Driving it to the track isn't really a problem....

The thing that surpises me is how much different the engine sounds with the pipes to the back. It had a little "rumble" and some "lope" before, but was fairly mild..... now it seems to have a lot more lope and an erratic idle sound... more of a "Pro Stock" idle. Which surprises me, because a 230/242 114LSA in a 381 isn't much of a cam.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'd love to hear a sound file if you can get one! Our cams are fairly similiar I have a 235/242 112LSA cam in the 355...which is why I want to hear yours!

Unfortunately, my car is still being worked on...hopefully it will be done for the fall season.

Nice work as always broh!!!

KnightFire
          1993 Formula Firebird
          Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

With a dual 3" pipe, and the exit pipes having several feet after the mufflers, you'd think the idle would suffer?

Is that Mufflex a single chamber design? What are the flow values for that muffler?

Comment

Very nice.....are you going to SLP Day NJ in Oct.? It'd be great to see/hear that monster in person

Comment

The mufflers are Borla 3" x 12" XR-1's. Straight thru.

It was tuned with the Borla's, a Mufflex 3" Y-pipe, into a Mufflex 4" catback. But when I installed the Gear Vendor O/D unit, the Y-pipe wouldn't fit. So I just took the 4" catback off to save weight (45#). I doubt that the straight pipes will cost any power, compared to the catback.

I plan to be at SLP Day in October.... Englishtown is 6 miles from my house... . Looking forward to meeting everyone who shows up!

Fred
                Fred

Comment

It was tuned with the Borla's, a Mufflex 3" Y-pipe, into a Mufflex 4" catback. But when I installed the Gear Vendor O/D unit, the Y-pipe wouldn't fit. So I just took the 4" catback off to save weight (45#). I doubt that the straight pipes will cost any power, compared to the catback.

I plan to be at SLP Day in October.... Englishtown is 6 miles from my house... . Looking forward to meeting everyone who shows up!

Fred
                  check that NOS system reall good this time, eh? (duckn&runnin)

LOL

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Does any one know where I can find more info on SLP days at Englishtown. I'm not tofar away.

Comment

Fred
                      Sweet, I'm looking forward to that weekend...if I can get the time off

Comment

Originally posted by StevoZ
                        Does any one know where I can find more info on SLP days at Englishtown. I'm not tofar away.
                        SLP 2003 Customer Appreciation Day

You can sign up online, and its free.
                        Fred

Comment

Working...
                        X