HELP! Car failed inspection in NJ!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Car failed inspection in NJ!

I deinstalled the Hypertech Programmer back to stock tuning figuring the Motor Vehicle Agency would fail it when they see a non-stock program. I then went to get my car inspected and it failed because the Oxygen Sensors, EGR Systems, overall OBD System Result failed. What gives? The inspector questioned if I had work done to the car, I denied it, he told me that I need to go through a few driving cycles? Please help! Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is the same thing or not but when you reset your pcm or you have your battery disconnected it takes the computer a little while to learn every thing again. How long before the inspection did you uninstall your hypertech? Also try using a bottle of the stuff that guarantees you that you will pass inspection I have heard good things about it plus they refund your money if you don't.
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

I uninstalled the Hypertech an hour before going to the inspection station. I guess I was asking for trouble? Also, I don't think the 'guaranteed to pass' will help me pass this way. The reason the oxygen sensors, EGR, and OBD failed because the status was not ready.

I was also in the inspection lanes for at least an hour, periodically stopping and starting the car.

Comment

I'm sorry I missed that you had a 97 which is an obd2. Do you have the inspection where they hook it up to the computer? If thats it just drive it for a few days and wait till the computer learns everything again and take it back.
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Thanks, but how would I know if the computer is "ready"? Also, would "driving it like I stole it" do any harm to the re-learning process? Thanks.

Comment

If the PCM is reset, there are a required number of "drive cycles" before it will indicate all systems "ready". They want to insure the car has been driven enough for any possible codes to set. It would be too easy to clear some of the codes that are only tested once during a drive cycle. Anyone that has an OBD-II scanner should be able to read "system readiness" tests for you. Where are you located? I have an Actron that reads all OBD-II cars.

I'm not sure why you pulled the HPP program out. They don't look at the "tune"..... they look at the "readiness" tests, and look for any stored, active or pending trouble codes. I doubt that could detect an altered program. On the other hand, its not likely you are gaining anythihng with the HPP program, so now that its "out", leave it out.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

No longer a reject!

Went back today and it PASSED!!!!!!

Thanks for everyone's help. BTW, I reinstalled the HPP+ because the auto tranny shifts so much better with it.

Comment

What did you do, if anything, other than drive it around a bit and build up the time since the PCM was reset?
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Just drive around a bit more. Funny that I passed since EGR and Heated O2 sensors still came up as 'Not Ready'. I guess the rest of the OBDII was ready enough for them to pass my car.

I did notice them shutting my car off and starting it again, don't know what that was for.

Comment

You are allowed to have 2 sensors reading not ready, so you just squeaked in under the wire... at least that's how PA is and I imagine they're all about the same.
                    Dave M
                    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                    X