Computer gurus..... USB to Serial port converter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer gurus..... USB to Serial port converter

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite laptop to run my AutoTap and MoTeC software. No serial port.... only 3 USB ports.

I have "searched" on CZ28.com and only found mention of a Belkin F5U103 converter ($80), and a Keyspan Serial adapter ($50). The thread mentions that the "cheap" Radio Shack adapters will not work....

Any ideas?

On the AutoTap website, they list two adapters that they say will work with the AutoTap cable...... has anybody tried either of these:

Q. Do you have a USB version of the AutoTap OBD II scan tool?

A. No, but you can use our USB adapter to add a serial port to your laptop or PC. We have tested AutoTap with B&B Electronics models UC232A and Edgeport/1 available here.
    USB to RS-232 DB9 Converter for Win 98, ME, 2000, and XP -- UC232A -- $39.95

USB to RS-232 DB9 Converter for Win 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP -- EDGEPORT/1 -- $79.95
    TIA!!!
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

I haven't seen any of those, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I do have several PS2 to USB adapters. I would just run over to CompUSA, and ask them. Serial Technology is a pain to incorporate into today's systems. We have dealt with this in a few places on our network, and we are slowly phasing this out. We have a forty year old voting machine that utilizes serial ports...what a pain. You would probably be better off, though, going with what they have in your example even though they are kinda pricey
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

This a common problem now with newer laptops . At our machine shop they are having a problem hooking up a CNC machine to a new laptop and the older CNC machines have serial ports. The newer machines have USB ports though. Haven't heard of what they have done about converting to UBS to the older machines yet.
      LT4KM, 160 degree TS, MAF ends, TB-bypass
      1.6 Roller Rockers, SLP CAI, LCA, tierod, 17x9" Wheels F/R, 275/40R17 Goodyear F1 tires.
      WS6 Muffler, LS1 Alum. Drive shaft. 21mm rear sway bar
      Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Well In CT..

We have a place called Cables & Connectors. I swear by all that is computers they have every cable & connector in existence and are reasonable pricing. Since they are local for me I have never inquired about shipping though. They know their stuff and have absolutely odd combinations of stuff like old SCSII to a newer one...I am sure they would have a USB to serial adaptor if its in existance. If you get hard up Fred and can't find one local let me know and i will make the trip and do the foot work for you. Its the least I can do after all the questions you have answered.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.... The last post about cables made me think.... Andrew, the guy at AKM Electronics that makes the cables for LT1_Edit, DataMaster, etc. ought to have a solution.

Keep the suggestions coming.....
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

USB to serial

CompUSA Online catalog

This should work fine and for $50 the price is right. There is another one by Belkin for $75 also.

Bob

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              Thanks for the feedback.... The last post about cables made me think.... Andrew, the guy at AKM Electronics that makes the cables for LT1_Edit, DataMaster, etc. ought to have a solution.

Keep the suggestions coming.....
              Fred, there was a post at one time on CZ28.com that said Andrew did have a solution for the USB thing. I don't remember particulars, just remember seeing something.
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Here's some links to converters. I believe these are what you are looking for. If no, just go to www.pricewatch.com and do a serach.

Links:
                http://www.store.yahoo.com/glob2000/3usbtoseadca.html

http://www.callcct.com/cgi-bin/cart/...te=detail.html

http://www.bonuscable.com/advanced_s...keywords=20297

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...fer=pricewatch

I buy a lot from the last site (Newegg.com) Hopefully that's what you're looking for.

Comment

I checked out the AKM Electronics Website , and he recommends against the simple "gender changer" type adapters. He has used the Belkin F5U103 adapter. Also has heard good things about the Keyspan USA19QW. And he is developing his own, but it doesn't appear to be done yet.... I sent him an e-mail.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!!! I'll post the results when I get it resolved.

Fred
                  Fred

Comment

There has been a lot of ongoing discussion about these converters at the LT1 Edit list site. If you don't get anywhere, check the archives. It is a common problem with the newer laptops, but many are successfully using XP os with a converter - I don't remember which one was recommended though.

Comment

Working...
                    X