What brand/size trans cooler to get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brand/size trans cooler to get?

On my 1.5hr trip to get some Zaino, I hooked up the laptop to the car to see how it would handle a long trip. With the AC on low, coolant temp was around 200, but the trans temp was steady around 218-228! Seems kinda high to me, I have read that heat is what kills transmissions, and that the 4L60E shifts better when it is cool. Sooo, thinking about prolonging the life of my transmission and adding a cooler. What size/brand should I get? I have the TransGo kit installed.
    1995 Firebird Formula
    (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Any desent sized tranny cooler will do as long as it fits. Most fit in front of the radiator but I have mine mounted in the empty section behind the front right fender by the coolant recover tank. Fred has one too. I think he mounted it on the driver's side.
    LT4KM, 160 degree TS, MAF ends, TB-bypass
    1.6 Roller Rockers, SLP CAI, LCA, tierod, 17x9" Wheels F/R, 275/40R17 Goodyear F1 tires.
    WS6 Muffler, LS1 Alum. Drive shaft. 21mm rear sway bar
    Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

on the dually, we have 2 [since it hauled alot].

as for a camaro, ours dont have one, but if you need one, in front of th radiator should be fine.
      http://www.sounddomain.com/id/magnetheadz28

Kenwood Krc-335(soon to be HU)]
      Kenwood Kdc-c669 (soon to be cd changer)
      Lanzar Vibe 418 (subwoofer amp)
      Lanzar Vibe 218 (6x9 amp)
      Subwoofers: bazooka EL1204

Comment

Get at least a 24,000 GVW cooler. Pick up which ever brand name your most comfortable with. I have a Summit Racing 24,000 GVW cooler mounted in front of my radiator.
        Something else to consider is getting a larger trannie pan. I have a Hughes extra deep pan which holds 3 more qts of fluid...definately a noticeable improvement in temperatures (I have a in cabin trannie temp gauge).

KnightFire
        1993 Formula Firebird
        Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

From what I have seen in the stores, Imperial is pretty common... just didn't know about the quality. The larger pan sounds like a great idea, where can I get one? I was going to see if I could get the tranny cooler to fit where the stock airbox used to be.
          1995 Firebird Formula
          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Keep in mind you can also get one with a small electric fan. Those can be kept away from the radiator for increased cooling benefits.

Comment

Working...
            X