Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need more performance out of my 383...NOW!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need more performance out of my 383...NOW!!!

Bought an '86 IROC with 14,000 miles on the 383 stroker, T-56 tranny, and 3.73 rear. I've got the TPIS Mini-Ram injection system, 11.5:1 Keith Black hypereutectic pistons, Eagle crank and rods, perfect cam, MSD ignition, billet distributor, great headers, alum driveshaft, new rubber...THE WORKS! But the only problem is that I spoke with a guy with almost the exact same motor, little more beefy, and he was running low 11s, while I'm still running mid-12s.

I'm only 20, so I don't know all the odds n' ends of maximizing performance yet, so a little advice would be much appreciated!
    '86 IROC-Z
    383 stroker: AFR 195 heads, KB 11.5:1 hypereutectic pistons, scat crank/Eagle rods
    TPIS Mini Ram injection system, 58mm, 24lb/hr
    "borrowed" T-56 and 3.73 rear
    2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

New ground fx, bra, Borla tuneable quad tip w/headers
    MSD ig, 1.6 rollers, accel, moroso

Here's some more specific parts that may need upgraded:
    350 block stroked, bored, and balanced to 383ci
    AFR 195 aluminum heads, 1.6 rockers, perfect cam (not changing)
    Keith Black hypereutectic pistons 11.5:1 compression
    Eagle crankshaft and Eagle connecting rods
    TPIS Mini-Ram fuel injection system with 24 lb/hr injectors and 58mm throttle
    MSD ignition, billet distributor w/8.8 wiring
    Borla stainless tuneable exhaust system with thorley headers and quad tips
    Lingenfelter flywheel
    T-56 transmission, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear end w/posi
    centerforce clutch, hurst shifter

It appears like I've got it maxed out, but I can feel that there is more to this engine than what I'm getting out of it. Maybe I just need to have it dyno tuned and precisely timed to its optimum conditions, but I don't know what else I can do. But it's not running bad at all, I'm just a perfectionist. Thanks for any insight.
    '86 IROC-Z
    383 stroker: AFR 195 heads, KB 11.5:1 hypereutectic pistons, scat crank/Eagle rods
    2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

Comment

how's youre 60' time?

its not always the car you know

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
        how's youre 60' time?

its not always the car you know
        .....and what are the specs on the "perfect cam"? Are the heads ported at all?
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

You need to look at the "MPH" on the timeslip, not the "ET". MPH is a good measure of how much HP the engine is making, ET tells you how well the car and the driver "use" the HP that's available. Post a complete timeslip, including 60-ft time and 1/8-mile MPH and ET. What's the elevation where you run? What are typical weather conditions? I was so clumsy and inept with my T56/Street Twin setup that (running NA) I had a hard time breaking into the 11's, even though the car would run 115-117MPH. With the TH400, and 30 less rwHP, it runs mid-11's.

It shouldn't be hard to hit 11's with a 383. If the AFR's are "out of the box", they might need a little cleanup on the porting. What are the specs on the cam you don't want to change? Your 24# injectors may be limiting you. Who did the tune? Are you running mass air or speed density? What fuel do you run?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Some N02 should do the trick.
            1995 Camaro Convertible V6 - contemplating swapping out for LT1 or begin the V6 to V8 conversion. Hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by brandon1934
              Some N02 should do the trick.
              Maybe at the dentist's office
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Here's some specifics to my parts:
                CAMSHAFT: HYD. valve adjustment, .502/.510 valve lift, 280/288 tappet lift
                duration @ .050 224/230; lobe lift .335/.340

HEADS: AFR 195 vette plug/74cc straight out of the box.

I run in Missouri and the air is always thick and saturated, but sunny most of the time. Pretty much the max octane they sell is 91, and the only place I can find with 93 is the cheap stuff. I would run 97 with the pistons I've got if I could, but obviously I can't. And the nearest BP is 25 miles away! Pretty much sucks out here.
                '86 IROC-Z
                2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

Comment

And like I said previously, I am certainly no pro driver either. That could be the problem. But the Lunati 383 kit I saw the other day sure looked tempting.
                  '86 IROC-Z
                  2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

Comment

Originally posted by IROCker
                    And like I said previously, I am certainly no pro driver either. That could be the problem. But the Lunati 383 kit I saw the other day sure looked tempting.
                    The cam looks pretty good. But, as Fred has said, its trap speed that gives an indication of power, not ET. So, instead of comparing Et's with the friend that has the similiar set-up, compare trap speed. If your running over 112-113 mph, you've got an 11 second capable car. Or, you may be running 122 mph and barely brushing the 11's cause you suck......
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                      If your running over 112-113 mph, you've got an 11 second capable car. Or, you may be running 122 mph and barely brushing the 11's cause you suck......
                      Sorry to hijack, but you're last comment made me curious. When you ran your car, were you using street tires? Also, I read that the new Z06 when tested ran an 11.5 at 128 on street tires obviously. I'm assuming that 500hp on a 3,130 lb. automobile has a pretty hard time hooking up to obtain this . With a trap like that, do you think it's a high 10 second car with slicks?
                      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Working...
                      X