Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much abuse can stock axles/diff take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much abuse can stock axles/diff take?

i have a 2000 t/a m6 & i want to put 4.10's in and M/T drag radials, but i dont have enough money to upgrade everything else in the rear. I was just wonderin how strong the stock rear components were or if i just shouldn't bother with the gears until i can afford everything else. any input would be great.

thanks, Kenny
    LOUD2000T/A
    '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

Originally posted by LOUD2000T/A
    i have a 2000 t/a m6 & i want to put 4.10's in and M/T drag radials, but i dont have enough money to upgrade everything else in the rear. I was just wonderin how strong the stock rear components were or if i just shouldn't bother with the gears until i can afford everything else. any input would be great.

thanks, Kenny
    It is entirely possible you will grenade your rear end the first time you try to launch it with that setup.

It is also entirely possible it could last like that for months, years but not likely.

The M6 puts more strain on a rearend than a A4. Combine that with gears and drag radials on a nice sticky track and that could be the end. I wouldnt do it, especially if you say you dont have the money to fix it if it breaks. It could be real trouble for you.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

id take the dough you have for the tires, wheels and gears/install, and put it towards a moser or strange 12 bolt. and save up again for the rest of it.
      2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
      1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
      past rides:
      1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
      2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
      1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
      2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
      2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
      1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
      1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
      1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

I agree with both posts on this one.

Tracez is right....some might handle it for months, possibly a year or two (not likely), and others may only handle one launch.

I would definitely go for a 12 bolt with 4:10's to start off with, and worry about the DR's afterwards.

If you're gonna do something, might as well do it right the first time around...especially if you can't afford to fix it; otherwise you might be poop out of luck
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Plus, if you get a Strange or Moser, you can select the gears you want on build-up. And, if you go with the Moser, not only do you have a stronger rear but you can retain all the factory ABS and (if equipped) TCS functionality...if you want. I wouldn't put that much strain on the stock rear. There's nothing worse than hearing that sound...*shudder*
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Well it was race day april 2 2005 bradenton fl. I had a stock rear with 373 richmond ring and pion. I have nitto drag tires. I took out ten teeth on the ring. I had stock suspention so I spun the tires but it only took one good hook up. The rear flexes and the ring and pion seperate just enough to break the gears. Owell $500 parts and labor down the drain. Im . getting the strange 12 bolt. If i did it first i would have $500 more dollars in my pocket.

Comment

Working...
            X