I'm back: steering wheel question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back: steering wheel question

Been a LONG time since i posted. I just picked myself up an 01 ragtop camaro, which I love by the way. After owning a 98 WS6 the camaro interior really leaves something to be desired. I'm going to try to replace all my white/greenish interior lights to the T/A Red. Its an on-going project...

My question is...I want to replace my steeringwheel radio control with the WS6 ones. Has anyone removed these? Whats the best way to do this?
    -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
    98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
    98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
    94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Congrats on the new F-Bod.....again

Sorry, I honestly can't answer you're question, but I was just curious.

I love ragtop camaros alot better than ragtop firebirds for some reason, always have. Maybe cuz one of my first dream cars was a ragtop 1st gen camaro.
    Is the new camaro an LS1 or a 6, I'm assuming a 6 cuz if I remember right, you got rid of your WS6 due to gas/insurance I believe. What color? Manual again I'm assuming? What happened to your 94? I remember you talking about a possible engine swap if I remember correctly. Pics?
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I thought about an LS1 and could probably afforded it but I thought I'd play it safe with a v6, especially with Gas these days. The speed limit around here is 35 mostly everywhere I drive so its kind of uneconomical(there i got justifying a 6...I miss the WS6 a lot)...anyways, after having 4 manual tranny cars I opted for the A4 instead this time. I like it, a lot. The Camaro is white has 59k miles, black top, cloth interior.

the 94 had 165,000 miles on it when I traded it in...the oil pan was going to have to be replaced, my water pump was leaking,i needed new rotors, the engine had a subtle misfire but it wasn't prdominent enough to tell what exactly was causing it...the Cat. was all clogged up so I replaced that.. so that being said it had to go...

I have some crappy pics, I'll get some better ones later...

My plans for this year include...

Xenon Body Kit
      SS Hood
      either the SS Spoiler or the one that looks stock but just a lil higher
      Sound System(done, just installed 2 12" Audiobahn 800w/400rms subs, and an Audiobahn 800w/rms amp, holy crap is that powerful, i had to turn it down)
      Rear Blackouts and black fillin letter(done)
      TA/Firebird red-lit interior(got the steering wheel controls, HVAC and headlight switch on order, just need the guages(prolly get whiteface) and Firebird Monsoon CD Player

After that I'll probably be done with it. I also will probably put RS badging on it when the body kit and stuff is done, so it doesn't look so naked...I dont want people thinking i'm posing as an SS or something

I wonder how possible it is to put the Trans Am interior into a camaro...That would be amazing. my assumption is the door panels wouldn't fit.
      -Rico

98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD

Comment

Interiors can be swapped...no problem, just find a donor. Not sure if a Pontiac Delco HU will work with a Chevy though...I think that's where they are unique...the systems.

Controls can be swapped no problem too. Just get a screw driver (flat head) and pry it out...gently though. Disconnect it and go to the dealer (or GM parts direct) and get them. Pontiacs are grey though, not black like the Camaro's...but it lights up red. YAY!!! $89 bucks each...bummer. I decided not to replace mine..too much $$$ for buttons.

If you have the resources, swapping out dashes and componets will be cool! Post pics!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

okay so I started the beginnings of my interior project. I replaced the headlight switch with the trans Am one because I want everything to light up red at night. The actual switch didn't fit but I was able to peel the face off and with some cutting, make the new face fit on the camaro switch. Sure enough it worked, and it lights up red and looks real nice.

I tried the steering wheel controls too. The lights in the controls I orded didn't work. Plus the clips that keep them in place in there are in different spots on the camaro's than the trans ams. With some patience and a dremel tool I'm sure you could get it to fit in there properly. However the lights didn't work so I put the Black Camaro ones back in.

I get the HVAC stuff within the next 2 days. Then as soon as payday rolls around I'll get the guages.

I also want to replace the door panels with the Trans Am door panels. They are way better. I often wondered about it and then I saw a guy on ebay do it. He said they fit fine, the only thing was the screw mounts didn't match up so he had to drill new ones in. The plastic tabs were perfect though.

Doing the whole dash is on my mind too but thats a lil in the future if I even attempt that pain of a project.
          -Rico

Comment

Removing the steering wheel is pretty straight forward.

First loosen the two bolts behind the steering wheel in order to remove the air bag assembly.

You will now have access to remove the center retainer nut. Once you remove the retainer nut, you will have to use a steering wheel puller to pull the wheel off the collar. I am fairly certain that your steering wheel is not pre-drilled for the holes in which a normal 2 bolt puller can be used. So I would reccomend you get the GM steering wheel puller with the GM puller legs. Then the steering wheel should slide off the collar.

Comment

i used an ordinary steering wheel puller
              1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Originally posted by FireFinder20
                i used an ordinary steering wheel puller
                Apprently GM changed the steering wheels in 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  Apprently GM changed the steering wheels in 1997.
                  sorry, my bad
                  1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

fwb

Hey, You live right by me.. I hate the speed limits too!

Comment

Working...
                    X