header question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header question

Ok so i might be biting off more then i can chew. I got a good deal on a set of MAC headers but they are for a 94-95. I am going to try and install them on my 96--i have the loudmouth exhaust. as anyone tried this or know of any particular problems i might run into. I am going to try and convert over to a single cat by putting one between the y pipe and the exhaust. Any tips would be appreciated
    Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

I just finished about a week ago. Very simple. You will need adapters for the AIR for the headers. See if you can get the guy to send you those. That's about it. I put the 95 MAC's on my 97. I'm happy with it.

It will work fine with putting a cat where you want to. I just had a shop weld a 20" long pipe in place of it though. It sounds so awesome at WOT.

Also, I would make sure and get them coated. I had my car running for a while. Went to check the torque on my spark plugs (Which is insanely easy with MAC's), and those headers cooled down so fast. My alternator was still cooking and the headers were cool to the touch. And I'm not exaggerating. The stock MAC coating is about as good as what you can buy in a 10 dollar can from what I hear.

If you have any questions, it's all fresh in my head.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Almost forgot, you will need an "S" pipe that goes after the cat. It comes in that SLP kit for a ridiculous price. Luckily I had one lying around that came with my magnaflow catback.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Doesn't he alos need "sims" for his after-cat O2 sensors..... or mount two sensors after the one cat..... or have the after-cat sensors "programmed out" of the PCM?
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks guys--ill keep all of this in mind--but what are the adapters your talking about--i have everything that came with the headers or is it something i need to purchase seperate?-and the o2 sims are the same ones i see all over the internet right??--now all i need is time to do it
          Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

Comment

The car will run with the two rear o2's unplugged, but it'll throw a ses light. I'm going to get it programmed out of the computer. Seems better than 160 worth of sims.

I'm just talking about the adapters that screw into the headers, that allow the AIR tubes to bolt to the header. The ones from your 97 are too small to fit in the header.

Comment

Working...
            X