New Hood Won't Fit! Help?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hood Won't Fit! Help?!

Well, I trial fitted the new SLP Ultra-Z ramair hood tonight. Getting it to line up required alot of slotting the brackets on both the car and the mounting holes in the hood. It was a major PITA. I got it to fit as good as it is going to get with my skill set, but it is not nearly good enough. The problem is the outside front corners stick up like 1/4 inch over the fenders. The front center is flush, just not the corners. I know nothing is holding them up because I can apply pressure to them and push them into allignment and they dont hit anything to stop them, they just stick up.. AArrrGGHH!!

I'm going to have my body man look at it tomorrow to see what he suggests. If it is not usable, I'm going to see if SLP is aware of a issue in the manufacturing process... maybe it's warped?

Here are some pics.... Anyone have any suggestions? Anything??

Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Aligning a hood is a PITA. You may have to think out of the box........ you may need to adjust the overall drop of the front of the hood and use the rubber stoppers on the front corners to hold them up into place. The problem is that after doing that, the leading edge may be a little low. You also may need to shim the fenders and front bumper cover to get them to line up with the hood. If I were there, I could help you get it done. Also, the angle that the hood comes off the rear hinge could be causing the misfit as well. Raising the height of the rear hinge may help you adjust the front angle downward. How is the contour of the reast of the hood in relation to the curve of the front fenders?

Comment

I just put in a Ultrz-Z hood as well and it had the same prob-not quite as bad though. I got it to adjust out quite abit. The body shop has it right now--i hope they got it out for me
      Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        Aligning a hood is a PITA. You may have to think out of the box........ you may need to adjust the overall drop of the front of the hood and use the rubber stoppers on the front corners to hold them up into place. The problem is that after doing that, the leading edge may be a little low. You also may need to shim the fenders and front bumper cover to get them to line up with the hood. If I were there, I could help you get it done. Also, the angle that the hood comes off the rear hinge could be causing the misfit as well. Raising the height of the rear hinge may help you adjust the front angle downward. How is the contour of the reast of the hood in relation to the curve of the front fenders?
        It matches the fenders fairly well except for the very front. On the passenger side it is just ever so slightly below the fender wither in the middle. When I push that corner down to line up the middle is down considerably.

I have the car at work with me today and am going to try and make it to the body shop at lunch time and have Gary look at it. Thanks for the ideas, at least there is hope.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I had to slightly lower the fender on one side and play with the rubber thingies under the hood,not perfect but close!!!!!
          94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeLord
            I had to slightly lower the fender on one side and play with the rubber thingies under the hood,not perfect but close!!!!!

Do you spend alot of time playing with your rubber thingies?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Actualy I'm not a manual/mechanic kind of guy,I have my painter take care of all my thingies!!!!
              94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Although Aftermarket parts usually don't fit very well anyways, I would have to say it may be warped judging by the pictures. ie I put a ram air hood on a buddy's caprice that needed to be shimmed, slotted holes, even had to grind back some of the fiberglass in the back to get it to fit. When it was all said and done it looked great. I also put on fiberglass fenders on a ricer civic. The fenders had to be ground away in order to make a consistant line between the fenders and hood. Plus the usual shimming and slotting...
                Joe 1320 makes a good point though, you may have to shim the surrounding sheet metal for it to fit. Good Luck...
                And I hope your body guy is good...
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

I just got back from the body shop. Gary had some ideas on making it fit better, all involve adjusting the car, not the hood. He thinks I have the hood adjusted as good as it will get. I'm going to remove the passenger side fender and do some massaging on the fender rail. It is apparent that it was in a collision at some point and the repair was not done correctly. Once that is fixed the passenger side hood/fender gap will be the correct size.

As for the corners sticking up, they have gone down a little all by themselves it seems, but still stick up. Gary said that it is possible to loosen up the fenders / nose brackets and perhaps lift the surrounding body up to meet the hood, or at least close enough to where it looks acceptable. He also noted that paining the hood will make it less obvoius. He said that the grey primer color really makes the misallignment stand out.

So hopefully a combination of straitening the fender support, adjusting the fenders and nose and painting it will produce an acceptable result. I'm pretty confident it will, Gary really knows his stuff. He has worked on several 4th gen Camaros in the past.

It was also Gary's recommendation that I do the work myself. He saw the work I did installing my drivers side door and said it was perfect. He said many local body shops would not had gotten it lined up as well as I did. He says it is apparent I have the skills to fix it so he suggested I save my money and do it myself. he will paint it afterwards. He's a honest guy and a great painter. I was lucky to stumble across him.

Wish me luck... I'll attack it again this weekend and hopefully see some results.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

It sounds like he's giving you good advice. I think that once you get in there and see how much that things can get moved around, you'll get it.

Comment

I agree with Joe. Last summer, I had to get a new front bumper, driver's side fender, and hood. The hood needed to be shaved around the lip about 1/4 of an inch...little more or less at different points. I screwed around with the fender a bit, but I did manage to get the body lines to match up pretty darn good....good enough for me at least, and I'm pretty particular with that.

Ironically, the only thing that wasn't a perfect match was the front bumper cover that I bought from GM, which is made of rubber by the way. The hood and fender were aftermarket parts, and they both fit nicely. On the passenger's side of my bumper cover, right above the turn signal, there was a little bubble that comes out....as if there was too much slack in the bumper on that side. I'm actually taking it to a body shop within the next couple weeks where my buddy works. I figured a heat gun would do the trick, and thats basically what he suggested as well....and he's doing it for free Prolly kick back a couple after he gets off of work as thanks, but thats more than fine with me. By the way, my front bumper is still primered....just stating that before I get attacked on using a heat gun on a painted surface.

Man, I really need to not have a primered front end anymore....it just seems like the $$$ goes in to modding before anything else. At least I can't see it when I'm driving
                      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Good News!! Good News!!

After about 6 hours of screwing with it we got it fitting perfectly!

I had to remove the entire front clip from the car, nose, both fenders....

We slotted the bolt holes in the corner brackets that connect the headlight bar to the fenders and nose. We then moved that bracket up 1/4 inch and bolted it down. We straitened out the collision damage that had gone unrepaired from the previous owner and put the fenders on, closed the hood and VIOLA!! A little fine tuning and it was fitting like it should. I am sooo relieved!!

Now, I have to finish puting the front end all back together and take the hood to Gary for paint. I must admit there was a lot of satisfaction in getting it to fit myself and I'm sure I saved a ton of money at the same time.

Well, it's late so I'm off to bed. See everyone tomorrow.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                          After about 6 hours of screwing with it we got it fitting perfectly!

I had to remove the entire front clip from the car, nose, both fenders....

We slotted the bolt holes in the corner brackets that connect the headlight bar to the fenders and nose. We then moved that bracket up 1/4 inch and bolted it down. We straitened out the collision damage that had gone unrepaired from the previous owner and put the fenders on, closed the hood and VIOLA!! A little fine tuning and it was fitting like it should. I am sooo relieved!!

Now, I have to finish puting the front end all back together and take the hood to Gary for paint. I must admit there was a lot of satisfaction in getting it to fit myself and I'm sure I saved a ton of money at the same time.

Well, it's late so I'm off to bed. See everyone tomorrow.
                          That's good to hear man. Can't wait to see some pics
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Pictures?? I don't got no stinking pictures!! I can't wait to see this bad boy painted!

Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                              Pictures?? I don't got no stinking pictures!! I can't wait to see this bad boy painted!

Very nice indeed. It'll look sweet when painted. Can't wait either man, keep me posted.
                              Steve
                              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                              X