Question. Whats faster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question. Whats faster

I don't know to much about cars, I was wondering what is faster stock, 02' t/a, or a 02' z28.

And is there a big diffrence between the z28, and ss, besides body style.

THe T/A and Z28.....basicly the same car....just cosmetics.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

the TA is slightly heavier..but... its a z28 with the Pontiac upgrade package....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

From what i hear the T/A is like a 1/10 sec faster in the quarter mile, because of the WS6 suspension. Still not sure if thats true or not.
        2006 Saturn Ion Redline
        2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

It's all driver. I've heard the TA is slightly heavier, but that weight helps it launch quicker (also heard the rear springs are slightly softer than a Z which would also help). The downside is that the TA would have more drag due to it's frontal design (that's my "redneck aerodynamics 101" guess) so the Z should outrun it top end. But there is no place in the US to run two cars side by side until they cut off, legally that is
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

The Camaro SS is the equivalent of the T/A WS6 or Forumula WS6, both are upgrades over the Z28 and T/A in some areas (suspension, etc.)
            '99 T/A WS6 w/ Borla cat-back, K&N, SLP SFC, SLP STB, BMR boxed LCA's, BMR Adj. torque arm, BMR panhard rod, BMR springs, and Short Stick
            (a list I know, but if I don't put it here, I'll never write it down anywhere else)

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
              From what i hear the T/A is like a 1/10 sec faster in the quarter mile, because of the WS6 suspension. Still not sure if thats true or not.
              a standard TA does not have the w6 suspension..........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                a standard TA does not have the w6 suspension..........

Thanks for backin' me up Ken...
                '99 T/A WS6 w/ Borla cat-back, K&N, SLP SFC, SLP STB, BMR boxed LCA's, BMR Adj. torque arm, BMR panhard rod, BMR springs, and Short Stick
                (a list I know, but if I don't put it here, I'll never write it down anywhere else)

Comment

all i know is that hte 35th t/a has 15 more ponies then the ss cmaro(345 compared to 330) blame tha ton the camaros nearly end of hood scoop. plus by the time that air reaches the filter, its warm from the motor compared to the t/as direct shot
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                    all i know is that hte 35th t/a has 15 more ponies then the ss cmaro(345 compared to 330) blame tha ton the camaros nearly end of hood scoop. plus by the time that air reaches the filter, its warm from the motor compared to the t/as direct shot
                    First off, there is no 35th Anniv. TA. That was a commemerative package, not an anniv. package. The TA was not introduced until 69, which would put the 35th Anniv. at 2004. Second, the 02 TA Comm. Ed. was rated at the same numbers as the regular counterparts, which would be the WS6 only I believe at 325 hp, same as the slower SS. The Firehawk was rated at 345, same as the faster 345 SS. Third, the TA doesn't have as much of a direct shot that everyone thinks for the air inductiion. While the SS will have a warmer air charge than the WS6 or Firehawk, the cool air running over the hood will help to negate that, leaving only a slight temp. difference at the filter.

***EDIT***

By the way, welcome to the board Sieg
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

They should be equal, but whichever particular car has the better performing motor will win.
                      I don't consider magazines as good, base stats, but a several of them got a LS1 T/A or Formula faster than the Z28. They claimed that it launched much better, where the Z tended to spin the tires more with a less "forgiving" clutch. I believe Edmunds and Popular Mechanics stated this and shaved .2 to .3...but again, they're unreliable mags with mediocre drivers.
                      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

An LS1 is an LS1 whether it is in a SS, WS6, Z28, Vette, ect. There are different numbers for horsepower out there depending on which model it was. The C5 vette is the fastest because of weight not because chevy rated it at a higher hp, for actual dyno numbers many times WS6's will put down more RWHP because of less restrictive intake and the vette looses hp through the transaxle even though it is rated much higher. The 01-02's got the LS6 intake which helps flow a little but you can have a bare bones 1998 Z28 take a fully optioned 2002 SS or WS6. It will depend on the condtion of the engine and the driver. There are many guys out there with Z28's that have lower time slips than SS's or TA's.
                        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                          X