Opti install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opti install

So i know the right way to line it up, but i have heard its realy temeramental and i dont wana screw it up. i can sort of get it up close ( i didnt take off the whole crank pulley assembly just the pulley itself ) its alright if i get it close and then spin it right ?? or will that force me to buy another 250 dollar part.
    -Nick-
    95 A4 Z28

You just need to get the cam dowel in the correct hole...

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

When i did my first one i got it wrong twice then gave up little did i know if i woud have done it one more time i would have saved my self 700$ worth of repairs . Like the lasr post said line up the cam pin

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        You just need to get the cam dowel in the correct hole...

is there a way to test the opti to make sure it's working properly? i've replaced the plugs, cap and rotor, coil...going to get a module in the next few days, fuel pressure tested normal and all the sensors tested normal on the scanner...

OT: you seem to be the man...i know i respect the hell outta your opinion, so i hafta ask you: where do you take your car, or do you have a shop or something, because my car is running bad enough for me to drop it off a cliff, but i know i'll hate myself if i get rid of it...HELP!!
        1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Most of what's been done to my car, I've done myself. The exceptions are the stroker motor and TH400 conversion (Second Street Speed, Perkasie, PA) and the roll bar (Finish Line Performance, Hibernia, NJ.... no longer in existance)
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            Most of what's been done to my car, I've done myself. The exceptions are the stroker motor and TH400 conversion (Second Street Speed, Perkasie, PA) and the roll bar (Finish Line Performance, Hibernia, NJ.... no longer in existance)

k...help!
            1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

Comment

does the position of the motor matter any ?? cuz i got it all lined up perfect and it wont even let me get close to all the way on. the dowel still has space from the opti.
              -Nick-
              95 A4 Z28

Comment

Are you simply replacing the Opti, or have you also done some other things while it was apart, like swap the cam?
                Fred

Comment

Y

You can't put it on wrong, because if the dowel pin isn't in the slot, the entire opti housing won't sit flush on the three bolt hole mating surfaces that are on the timing cover. You will know once you lined it up right.

As for testing it? I would just assume that if you bought a new opti, and got the pin lined up that it is going to work just fine. I am not sure about starting the engine with all of those sensors, fans, etc etc unplugged. I assume the engine would run, just you would get a super super bright check engine light hahah. Anyway, I would just trust your work and put it back together, it will run.

...TIm

Comment

Originally posted by FireFinder20
                    is there a way to test the opti to make sure it's working properly? i've replaced the plugs, cap and rotor, coil...going to get a module in the next few days, fuel pressure tested normal and all the sensors tested normal on the scanner...
                    What are the symptoms? Any codes?

Comment

And do not attemp to use the bolts to draw it tight. If memory serves me, the dowel pin length was changed sometime in 95..... if the pin is too long, it will create too much trust against the internals and the new opti will be destroyed.

Comment

related problem?

Just wondering i'm having problems with may z after warms up and it starts breaking up.I already replaced the ic module ,coil and spaced them.I was wondering if you had this same problem and thats why your replacing your opti.I think this maybe my problem also or the cap and maybe wires.Does the ses light come on when the opti goes bad? My car doesn't even trigger the ses light when it acts up?You can check my other posts anyone with info post 93 camaro breaking up after warm up.I explained lot of the symptoms and what i've tried in these post.Thanks and just take your time your install will go alright.

Comment

i got it in, the orings came off the old one on me hopefully ill be driving it 2maro
                          -Nick-
                          95 A4 Z28

Comment

Originally posted by 93/96 f-body
                            .Does the ses light come on when the opti goes bad? My car doesn't even trigger the ses light when it acts up?
                            Not always. I've seen codes for the optical portion when that fails. Sometimes a multiple random misfire code will get thrown, but even that seems to be rare. When the cap and rotor portion goes south, the symptoms are what you describe. From what I've experienced, these ignitions work great for about 100K miles, give or take a few. Once you get an ignition problem, the entire system should be replaced. The optispark, wires, plugs, (coil and module could be optional but I do them anyway) are all related and are going to be toast. Do it all in one shot, the result is many more miles of trouble free service without ignition related breakdowns every 15K miles.

Comment

thanks for the input guys..turns out the damn P/S pump was leaking on a side i couldn'r readily see...I replaced it yesterday, dried everything off, next gotta take the opti off and clean that as well, but it's running a hell of a lot better! once in a while, it'll stumble at a light, but for the most part it's fine.

oh and no, it never threw a light...only the first time

yes, the 95 has a longer pin on the cam...no, the engine position isn't important, since the opti can only line up one way

damn opti. i want coilpacks.

anybody have 700 bux to loan me?

Comment

Working...
                              X