3rd gens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gens

Today I was looking at some 3rd gens and im pretty interested in getting one as a fixer-upper. They are dirty cheap around here, there are some nice looking ones around here selling for like 3 grand. I was wondering if there were any problems with the 3rd gens and if they are expensive to fix up. I suppose I could drop a 396 that we have just lying around if it would fit but thats unlikely. Give me all your thoughts on 3rd gens.

Depends on how much POS (Previous Owner Syndrome) you have to deal with. If you're looking at ones priced at or around $3000 there shouldn't be much to do. Fixing up any car can be expensive. I haven't run into any individual parts that I thought were too expensive on my '87. But it can snowball on you, once you start replacing/upgrading things it's hard to stop.
    Some things to look for: worn door hinges, these contribute to cracks in the roof at the rear of the window corners (mine suffers from this on the drivers side).
    Sagging door hinges (different than worn hinges) the doors are very heavy and over time will cause the hinges to bend a little (easy to fix).
    Subframe connectors are a plus, and help prevent the above mentioned cracks, as well as stiffening up the chasis.
    Rear hatch motors parts wear out/break, I bought a complete unit off Ebay and replaced the one that was in the car (i'm repairing the one I removed so i'll always have one that works).
    Window motors slow.
    Firebird headlight motor gears strip (4th gens too).

Good resource for third gen specific info. http://www.thirdgen.org

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

i hae a 88, no problems cept for the rear. take it for a test drive and make sure there aint any strang nosies, sicne these were 80s over emission cars, they were beat pretty badly, so make sure their arent any noises that seem werid. also make sure that there arent major oil leaks and see if the air damn is there cuz they will overheat.
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Finally, someone who understands the third generation!

Check the headlight motors!
        Make sure it's the original engine.
        If it has t-tops, check the weatherstripping condition
        If it has t-tops, look for rust on the roof with the tops off.
        Look for rust near the tail-end
        Look the emissions over.
        Ask if there has been a drain on the battery.
        Ask if there is a history of roughness or stalling.

There are more but i cant think of them right now.
        1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
        V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
        previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

I cannot possibly stress this enough- Do Not Get A TBI Car!!!!!! My 86 262ci Monte Carlo was TBI and my 88 Formula is a 305ci TBI and both cars had(have) horrible idling problems. They also bog terribly. When you hit the gas, it takes about 3 seconds for the car to respond (at least for me this is the case). In a way, i lucked out on my Formula. Cost me $500, t tops don't leak a drop and the body is as straight as an arrow. Just about everything else is bad on the car but almost every 3rd gen owner's car has been in an accident at some point. I never had anyone to help me with a motor/ transmission swap though so i never got to do the work i wanted to do to it. Good luck.
          Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
          SOLD- Kinda miss it
          94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
          SOLD- Good riddance!
          2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Yeah, I've got a 3rd gen too. It only took about $26,000 to make. And I could still dump another $3000 into the body if I wanted to. Be sure you don't trap yourself like this car...it's a money pit.

It started as an '86 IROC in original condition. And after $19,555 all in receipts worth of motor (new 383 stroker), transmission (new T-56), rear end (new 3.73), and engine components; along with $1000 for the sound system, $2250 for Corvette wheels, new rubber, and adaptor plates, $500 for interior, and COUNTLESS HOURS, I now have a killer car. It just costs and arm and a leg!

Once you start a project or upgrading, it's very hard to stop. So don't trap yourself like this. But the 3rd gens are my dream and the best cars I have ever driven. They handle like no other.
            '86 IROC-Z
            383 stroker: AFR 195 heads, KB 11.5:1 hypereutectic pistons, scat crank/Eagle rods
            TPIS Mini Ram injection system, 58mm, 24lb/hr
            "borrowed" T-56 and 3.73 rear
            2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

New ground fx, bra, Borla tuneable quad tip w/headers
            MSD ig, 1.6 rollers, accel, moroso

Comment

Originally posted by IROCker
              Yeah, I've got a 3rd gen too. It only took about $26,000 to make. And I could still dump another $3000 into the body if I wanted to. Be sure you don't trap yourself like this car...it's a money pit.

It started as an '86 IROC in original condition. And after $19,555 all in receipts worth of motor (new 383 stroker), transmission (new T-56), rear end (new 3.73), and engine components; along with $1000 for the sound system, $2250 for Corvette wheels, new rubber, and adaptor plates, $500 for interior, and COUNTLESS HOURS, I now have a killer car. It just costs and arm and a leg!

Once you start a project or upgrading, it's very hard to stop. So don't trap yourself like this. But the 3rd gens are my dream and the best cars I have ever driven. They handle like no other.
              u say it like its a bad thing... well it is but it gives back 2 u everytime u drive the car and get those looks n the thumbs up it makes it all worth it... n then when some loser in a stang pulls up next to u and u shut him down nasty style then thats where it pays off
              1967 Camaro "Project"
              1972 Chevelle "454"
              1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

i got a tbi motor granted the owner be4 me had it rebuilt then his back blew so he could drive it. but when it as rebuilt he added some goodies. i only get a SES once in a blue moon, less now then when i frist got it. its my O2s gettin loaded up on unburnt fuel(car needs a tune bad) otherwise its a pretty peppy motor
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by RocKin1967
                  u say it like its a bad thing... well it is but it gives back 2 u everytime u drive the car and get those looks n the thumbs up it makes it all worth it... n then when some loser in a stang pulls up next to u and u shut him down nasty style then thats where it pays off
                  Yeah, I left that part out...I didn't want to temp him. he he
                  '86 IROC-Z
                  383 stroker: AFR 195 heads, KB 11.5:1 hypereutectic pistons, scat crank/Eagle rods
                  2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

Comment

I would suggest a 91-92 for your third gen needs. I find they have the least problems and are usually kept up really well. I own a 91 RS (V8) and I've had it for 5 years. Other than the fact that it was daily driven northern car (rusting undercarriage) I've had to do 2 things to it since I bought it. Change the waterpump and the alt. Both routine maint. things and both well after I bought the car. I owned a 85 camaro SC (v6 trim with a v8). I bought it for $150 and drove it for 2 years. Not many problems at all but one hell of a slugand gas hog. All in all, 91-92 seem to have been the best years for the 3rd gen f-bodies IMHO.

If you can, buy one that has NOT been modded. That way you know it's a better chance that it hasn't been dogged. Alot of people throw a K&N and a flow on it and think they're the mighty #3 car. So try and find one in the most stock trim as possiable.

Hope this helps!!
                    1995 Blue T-Top 3.8L Auto Firebird
                    1991 Blue T-Top 5.0L TBI Auto Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                      I cannot possibly stress this enough- Do Not Get A TBI Car!!!!!! My 86 262ci Monte Carlo was TBI and my 88 Formula is a 305ci TBI and both cars had(have) horrible idling problems. They also bog terribly. When you hit the gas, it takes about 3 seconds for the car to respond (at least for me this is the case). In a way, i lucked out on my Formula. Cost me $500, t tops don't leak a drop and the body is as straight as an arrow. Just about everything else is bad on the car but almost every 3rd gen owner's car has been in an accident at some point. I never had anyone to help me with a motor/ transmission swap though so i never got to do the work i wanted to do to it. Good luck.
                      You just got 2 worn out and neglected cars. My 305 TBI is by far amazing for what it is. MY car pulled a 15.29@91.4 with 150k miles, k&n filter replacement, new plugs, wires, oil, no cat, and a dynomax ultraflo single out muffler. NEVER touched the motor. The car has SURPRISING out the hole power for a "weak little 305" even with the 2.73's. I have many friends with much more powerful cars who's eyes got wide and had a huge grin after taking my car around the block.

Moral of the story....don't shun TBI. It's a VERY capable FI system, just misunderstood. Don't believe me? check out the TBI forum on Thirdgen.org

Edit: F1 cars are TBI. And they are susposedly "the penical of modern engineering".
                      1995 Blue T-Top 3.8L Auto Firebird
                      1991 Blue T-Top 5.0L TBI Auto Camaro RS

Comment

I would agree with Unusual95BlueBird that the 91 and 92s are the best built without a doubt. But my personal favorite is the 1987 IROC-Z Z28 with optional 5.7 liter TPI. And also is the 1989 IROC-Z with the 350. I would try to find either one if it was me. In my opinion these are very well built and will handle like they're on rails. I owned a 1987 IROC with the 5.7 engine with 140,000 miles and put it up against a 1992 Z28. My '87 actually won by a little more than a car length. 3rd gens are great to buy as a project cause there is a ton of room under the hood for all the extras.
                        '86 IROC-Z
                        2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

Comment

Get a cheap 3rd gen and then put a LT1 in it, you would have the best of both worlds.

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

You could also get a TTA...3rd Gen with a GN motor...13s stock. Eat your heart out TPI motors lol
                            Steve
                            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

most 3rd gens that need fixing up cost about 1200 at a good price 1500 if the owner has thrown ne thing on it like hood and stuff but there alot of fun to work on let me tell youll have to take the exuast off to fix ne thing lol have fun
                              your racing 16 year old Camaro Berlinetta Digital Camaro 202 heads 4 barrel and soon to be headers with 4 inch running back

Comment

Working...
                              X