considering LS1 brakes........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• considering LS1 brakes........

Thinking about LS1 front brakes for my z28, but what about the rears. Will the stock LT1 rears be good enough or would it be worth replacing those too. My brakes always seem to fade fast and when they are hot they will not work. How much better are the LS1's over the samll LT1's.
    Thanks
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

My LS1 brakes are much better than the LT1 brakes but I'm not sure if it is the brakes or the fact that I added stainless steel lines to it. It only cost me $200 to do the conversion. Compared to the cheapest aftermarket brakes that is a bargain. And I can go anywhere and get pads for them.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I upgraded my brakes.
      Carbotech Bobcat pads(front) $99
      SureStop drilled/slotted rotors(front) $199
      Earls braided lines all four corners. $84
      Install $170

Wow....the car brakes so hard I need new front springs(nose dive).
      Brake pedal doesn't feel mushy under hard braking(brake lines). ABS does engage, but it feels firm. Great feed back from the brake pedal.
      John
      97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
      02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
      99 Bravada

Comment

SO you guys are saying to get rid of the old rubber lines and get stainless lines. Is it possible that my old lines are expanding out or somthing. Where is the best source for good brake lines.
        Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

IMO the LT1 brakes are horrible. They're barely up to the task. When I moved up from my 98 V6 to my LT1 I noticed the difference bigtime, and it wasn't just the extra 100lbs of engine.

It's not just the steel brake lines that make the difference, the 98 and newer cars have larger front rotors and dual piston calipers vice the single piston on 93-97 LT1's. Check out camaroz28.com and you'll find a lot of people that have done the upgrade. The only issue has to do with the length of the brakelines. I've wanted to do this too, but I just haven't had the time yet. I believe the rear discs are pretty much the same so you'll only need to change out the front calipers and rotors.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I've done the LS1 brake conversion on my 95 and the difference was night & day.....most noticeable mod done to date!! In my case, I wanted to keep all the parts OEM so I used C5 front brake hoses as the stock or LS1 f-body hoses are to short for the LT1 cars unless you want to modify the hard lines. The hard lines have a different configuration between the LT1 and LS1 cars.
            95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

I got the fluid flushed and replaced and they are much better, although im still considering the LS1 brakes.

Comment

Working...
              X