hello from volkswagen world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello from volkswagen world

as stated, i'm a volkswagen enthusiast (as well as a classic muscle fan) who's looking for some deep dish-style wheels...the reasons i'm here are:

1. I'm looking for wheels that won't be seen on every other volkswagen at shows.

2. I've seen many camaros, mainly 3rd gen. with clean, simply-styled deep dish wheels.

3. From the 3rd. gen camaros i've seen, they run 5-lugs wheels, which i can hopefully run with adapters.

4. Most deep-dish styled wheels popular in the volkswagen scene (BBS, Kinesis, Schmidt) are rediculously expensive (upwards of $900 per wheel) and are not very practical for a college student to spend every cent earned on. I'd like to find some used wheels that can be refurbished.

i'm prepared for flaming if need be, but i'd like to get some ideas of where to start looking and some suggestions/pictures/links...thanks

p.s. no chrome please, or over the top styling

I don't think you have any reason to expect any flames. Welcome to the board. I can't help you, but I'm sure soemone here might be able to point you int he right direction. Good luck!

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

My X just bought a new Passat TDI...seems to be a pretty nice car. I am not too sure about the wheels though. Do you know your lug pattern and size/offset? I bought my ZR1s on ebay for significantly less then other sources. I am sure there are several on-line retailers there that have something for you.
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

do you have a picture of something you like?? If so, I'm sure we could tell you what it is and the best place to buy them.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

What are you driving Jetta,Passat B5,r32, gti, Rocco,?????
          96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Well, he could be running a REAL Beetle, not that new girlie one.

I know that on the old Beetles, they were 4X100, and something like 5X135 or something on the REALLY old ones (67 and down) which really limits what you can get as nobody drills wheels that way. JC Whitney makes steel adapters, which would be fine for an older Beetle, as long as you don't hotrod it. Otherwise, you'd have to go with billet adapters. If you do go that way, I've got the hookup on that. This guy can build whatever you want, and he's on ebay. But I don't think he can do the 5 bolt older beetle adapters.

If you have a newer car, I don't know the bolt patterns on them. The downside to using adapters is that you have to get high-positive offset wheels to run them, so you have come to the right place. The problem is that our wheels start at 8 inches wide, and go up to 11 (in factory widths anyway), so with that depth you will be hard pressed to get a wheel with a lip and adapters to fit under your fenders. Most tuner wheels that are direct bolt with lips are only 7 inches wide. So while you may be able to run our "cheaper" wheels, you might have a tough time getting everything you want in a width that will still stay in your fenderwells.

(I use the term "cheaper" loosely for two reasons. By the time you buy adapters, our cheaper wheels will cost as much as wheels that would direct-bolt to your car. Not to mention, they make some wheels for our cars that cost 2-3k a set. I know people with 24" spinners that didn't spend that much!)
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

wow, maybe i'm just used to dealing with immature euro-snobs, but it's surprising to see not only positive but helpful replies !

i drive a 20th anniversary gti (2003), 5x100 blot pattern, the wheels i'm running right now are 18x7.5" et.35 (stock, same as R32 wheels)...most people with late model vw's like mine look for 18" to even 20", but i'd like to go down to 16-17" and anywhere between 8-10" wide (not for daily driving mind you...the staggered wheel set up is popular on vw's for looks but not exactly functional on a FWD car)...

i'll try my best to find some pictures simmilar to what i'm looking for when i'm home from class as well as do more research as to what offset range would suit me best...thanks again for the help...i'm really hoping to find something good from another car scene to both open eyes and really get some of the haters in the euro scene angry

Comment

I like these wheels. It'd be nice if they made these in a bolt pattern for our cars at that price, I might have to switch wheels!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43957
                "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I actually had the experience only yesterday of "total immersion" in the comtemporary VW street scene, when I happened to be driving by the exit of Old Bridge Twp (NJ) Raceway Park, and the roads were filled with VW's from the "7th Annual Spring Classic VW Show & Go"...... It was "interesting".
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I had an 89 Jetta, damn reliable. She went 108 mph, with the 3!!?! speed auto.
                    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

My wife's car is a 1989 VW Jetta, 100,000 km carburetor A3, power all, in EXCELLENT condition, stock all around. A reliable car, great gas/mile ratio; so my wife don't want to get rid of it yet.

Dochidalgo
                      97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

I'm working on my son's '90 Corrado. Its factory supercharged 4 banger with around 160 hp. and 5 spd. My daughter just bought the brand spanking new Jetta 2.5L, its really decent so far.... 563 miles.

See we can play nice too, and not be Euro-weenies.

The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

The Camaro SS rims look very close to the factory VW 17's that came on my Jetta 1.8T, but much wider.
                          96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

I had an 87 GTI...I LOVED that car. I drove that over my SS all the time. It was faster then a 95 V6 Mustang!! yeah baby!! AND just as fast as a SOHC GTI circa 1996 maybe....

Have you tried looking under vwvortex.com? Thats a pretty good site. I lurk there once in awhile cuz I like VW's.

Comment

I saw a VW yesterday at the Porsche racing place that had some brand new late model Porsche wheels on it. It looked nice and it looked like they bolted right up.
                              Tracy
                              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                              Current Mods:
                              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                              X