Fuel Pump broke today (Questions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump broke today (Questions)

It wasn't to bad to do. Cut a square hole in the sheet metal to get to the pump. Had the pump out in 20 minutes. The only pain in the a$$ was sealing up the housing for the fuel pump. Im letting the seal on the housing dry over night. The catch to all this was my brother in law had a spare 255lph pump. So....
    1.What are the effects of running a higher flow pump ?
    2. Are their any mods a need to acompany this pump ?
    3. What is the correct sealant for the housing?
    96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

No one knows
    96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Here's a stab at it:

1. Higher flow rate will be controlled by the fuel pressure regulator to the OEM settings for pressure anyway. You will have more fuel available for future modifications: ie: larger fuel injectors, supercharger..... you should check with a supercharger supplier if this is the size pump they supply/recommend for their setups.

2. Will it fit in the OEM bracket? Wiring connections? Modify to fit.

3. Two part epoxy gets anything together. Check the label to see if petroleum will eat it, usually not.

4. Make sure you make a decent plate to cover the hole you made in the car floor. Seal it! Don't forget the floor is part of the entire assembley to keep you safe in an accident.
      The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Thanks Pete, I couldn't pass up a free hi flow pump. Just wanted to make sure it would not damage anything.

Comment

looks like imma have to replace the pump is there any ways you can get some pics of wher eyou cut in the back to get to it ? any tips or what not you can throw my way thanks

**Red 98 Trans Am--Flowmaster--MTI Clear Lid--Smooth Bellow--B&M Shift Kit**
          **White 98 Dodge Stratus--Daily Driver!**
          **RIP Red Firebird 170k**

Comment

Originally posted by 99 Fir3bird Chick
            looks like imma have to replace the pump is there any ways you can get some pics of wher eyou cut in the back to get to it ? any tips or what not you can throw my way thanks
            I thought this was excellent.
            http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks a million!!!!!

**Red 98 Trans Am--Flowmaster--MTI Clear Lid--Smooth Bellow--B&M Shift Kit**
              **White 98 Dodge Stratus--Daily Driver!**
              **RIP Red Firebird 170k**

Comment

That's the same site I used. The important thing to remember is the fuel lines. When you cut the hole you will see four lines on top. Two of them have quick disconnects(pinch with your fingers to get the off) the bigger of the two is your fuel feed line the return line is the smaller one. The other two can be pried off with a flat head screw driver. Be sure to blow all the dirt off the top. Take off the five nuts and pull the pump assembly out. Don't be surprised if it takes a couple of times to get it out. The pump is in the beige plastic box Remember the rubber fuel return line connects to the connector with the filter on it. when you break open the box you will see the filter. Disconnect the rubber return line going into the housing and the rubber hose with the 90 degree bend on it. The one with the bend on it is used to let fuel flow out of the box in to the rest of the fuel tank. The third line is brown and ribbed. That is your fuel feed line. Depending on the kit you get determines if you will reuse it or not. The kit from summit replaces it with a small rubber hose. Also if you get an after market pump. You might half to trim the rubber seal around the top of the pump. I used supper glue and contact cement to reseal the box. hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Red20170
                  It wasn't to bad to do. Cut a square hole in the sheet metal to get to the pump. Had the pump out in 20 minutes. The only pain in the a$$ was sealing up the housing for the fuel pump. Im letting the seal on the housing dry over night. The catch to all this was my brother in law had a spare 255lph pump. So....
                  You might want to look at the Racetronix website... thye have a lot of information on installing the Walbro 255lph pump in the 4th Gen F-Body:

http://www.racetronix.com/Racetronix..._Pump_Kit.html
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Injuneer,
                    I good on my install. I think 99 Fir3bird Chick had some questions thats why this old post came up again

Comment

Yah

I wouldn't trust epoxy sitting in gasoline. I used JB Weld when I put my housing back together. I called the company that makes JB Weld and they informed me they had tested their product and it is stable being submerged in gasoline.

I have used epoxy on water based applications and seen it get gummy after a few years.

Just FYI.

...Tim

Comment

Here's another site offering step-by-step education on "fuelpumpectomy."

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/348183/9
                        Darrin C
                        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

ttt
                          just cuz I am tackling this on Sunday
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X