12 Bolt rear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Bolt rear

I was just wonderin about how much i can expect to pay for 12 bolt rear set-up with ABS/TCS and all. Who makes them besides moser and are they as good. Are any Mods needed to the car (driveshaft length, control arms, Torque arm)

thanks, Kenny
    LOUD2000T/A
    '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

With stock brakes, ABS, TCS, Posi, 33-spline axles, aluminum cover, stock driveshaft adapter U-joint and sway bar kit will run you about $2600. Spohn Performance has them. Hope this helps.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The two top 12-bolts are the Strange and the Moser. Generally, people cite the fact that the Moser is cheaper, stronger, and has a faster delivery time. Both are quality rears. But there are some significant differences that are more important than the above factors.

Strength:

The only difference in strength for an identically configured Moser or Strange would be the diameter of the axle tubes. The Moser uses an oversize 3" axle tube, Strange uses the smaller factory size tubes (2.75"). I've never heard of anyone breaking an axle tube on either rear, and I've seen the Strange taken to the 1,000 HP level with no problems.

Some positives for the Strange:

-Strange comes fully assembled, lubed and "run-in" at the factory. Moser comes in pieces, requires swapping brake backup plates, using some shims that Moser often forgets to include (and they do no include instructions of any kind).

-Strange includes as standard c-clip eliminators, 33-spline axles and posi, 1350 HD pinion yoke, aluminum rear cover with pre-load bolts, cross-over u-joint. These are all optional extras on the Moser. (Those were the "standard" pieces when I bought mine 5 years ago.... they may now charge extra for the LPW cover.)

-Strange uses the "factory" mounting brackets for shocks, springs, panhard rod and LCA's. Moser uses their own design. As a result, the Moser rear requires "special" LCA relocation brackets.

-Strange uses stock-style "bolt-through" torque arm attachment, Moser uses individual pairs of bolts top and bottom (I've heard Moser may have changed this, because of so many problems). It becomes VERY hard to keep the bolts tight, they loosen, and damage the torque arm, or even fall out.

-Strange works with stock sway bar mounting hardware. The 3" axle tubes on the Moser require that you change the sway bar attachment brackets.

-Strange axles come drilled for screw-in studs in both 12mm and 1/2". Moser standard is press-in 12mm studs.

-Strange uses stock torque arm mount location. Moser torque arm mount location is offset slightly to the drivers side compared to stock. Requires extra mounting bolt holes in the torque arm, which most suppliers now include. May decrease tunnel clearance.

-Strange 1350 yoke works with stock driveshaft length. Moser seems to require a slightly shorter driveshaft on many cars (50% ?)

Some advantages for the Moser:

-Moser promises delivery in 2 days. Strange take closer to a month, and maybe even more if you order the super heavy duty Eaton posi, with the ABS reluctor gear that needs to be cut into the carrier (not bolted on).

-Moser ABS setup appears to mimic factory design. Strange ABS uses a custom "Strange" ABS sensor in the top of the housing, and it is not very good. Difficult to adjust and has a short life.

-Item for item, the Moser appears to cost a bit less than the Strange. If you can assemble it yourself, and take care of the interface problems at low cost, the Moser will cost less.

Neither rear axle assembly comes painted. Figure on stripping the grease off it, and painting it before you assemble it.

When I bought my Strange in 1999 it was the only unit available (well, there was also KTRE, but they had just scammed a large number of F-Body owners out of $2,000 each on a supposed group purchase. I think KTRE formed an "alliance" with Mark Williams, and MW may now sell their stuff). I was extremely satisfied with the quality and performance of the rear. It's still going strong, even after some real serious abuse with 5K Street Twin dumps and very stick slicks. The TH400 that I've run for the last couple years seems to be a bit easier on it. I was able to install it by myself in an afternoon, with no help at all. Direct plug and play, except for two very minor problems, one with the hole for the screw that holds the brake line bracket, and another with a spacer required to bolt the stock brake line "tee" to the top of the housing.

Strange did manage one serious screw-up.... they forgot to give me the ABS ring equipped super HD carrier. They admitted their screw-up, and immediately arranged for a shop (with my approval on the selection) to swap in the correct carrier at their expense, with a full warranty on the quality of the shop's work. Did have to wait another month for the carrier to show up, but I was able to drive the car the way it was.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred,

I have to whole-heartedly agree with your post regarding the Strange rear. I haven't had any problems at all with mine but had to wait 4 months to get it. When it finally arrived, the ABS sensor was broken in the center housing. I contacted Strange and they promptly sent me a new one. Based on the packaging of the new sensor, I determine that a company called a.i.tek instruments manufactures this magnetic pick-up for Strange. You may find the sensor listed as part number 70085-8080-001 here:

http://macguireandcrawford.com/passiveproductlist.asp

It is located at the bottom of their list for $35.00. Just wanted to pass this on to you in case you ever need to replace it. I'm sure you could get the sensor directly from Strange but I have no idea what they charge for it.

Just my 2 cents...

Brian

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on the sensor. Mine has not been working since shortly after the shop switched out my 3.73's for 4.11's. Not sure if they messed it up installing the gears, or it just got tired and died. Since the car has not really been street driven for nearly two years, I keep thinking about removing the ABS system for weight reduction, and swapping in a spool for the Eaton HD posi.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            Thanks for the feedback on the sensor. Mine has not been working since shortly after the shop switched out my 3.73's for 4.11's. Not sure if they messed it up installing the gears, or it just got tired and died. Since the car has not really been street driven for nearly two years, I keep thinking about removing the ABS system for weight reduction, and swapping in a spool for the Eaton HD posi.
            it's easy to do, that's where mine was placed in my 93, i don't know they do now, haven't messed with the rear yet in my 95...i had gears installed and somehow, they managed to screw up the sensor...

just my .02
            1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Working...
            X