Some 5th Gen news...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some 5th Gen news...

And GM Management actually uses the "C" word....Unfortunately it looks like they're veering away from calling it Camaro?

Automaker works on rear-wheel-drive platform for new generation of vehicles.

By Ed Garsten / The Detroit News

Comment on this story
    Send this story to a friend
    Get Home Delivery

General Motors Corp. is working on a new rear-wheel-drive platform that could be the basis for a vehicle reminiscent of the departed Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird sport coupes.

"We're going to take another look at high performance rear-wheel drive," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said Tuesday at the Society of Automotive Engineers' 2005 World Congress.

In March, GM suspended plans to bring out a new generation of rear-wheel-drive vehicles for the North American market, citing uncompetitive costs.

The new platform -- known internally as Zeta -- served as the underpinnings for the popular Buick Velite concept car that debuted on the 2004 auto show circuit.

Jim Queen, GM vice president of global engineering, told The Detroit News in an interview this week that the automaker is now working on a rear-wheel-drive platform that would be more cost-effective, and could result in a Camaro-like vehicle.

"There's a Camaro hook in all of us," Queen said. "It may not be a Camaro, but there's a lot of us inside our company and outside our company that feel very passionate about it."

Queen said the new platform, or architecture, could be some form of Zeta or the Sigma rear-wheel-drive architecture used by Cadillac's new rear-wheel-drive sedans and crossover.

"It's going to be something I sort of call Zeta-light," Lutz said.

The Camaro and its twin, the Pontiac Firebird, were favorites of young drivers who loved tooling around in a powerful, muscle car at a moderate price.

But the cars fell from favor in the late 1990s as young consumers shifted to sport utility vehicles and front-wheel drive passenger cars and production ended in 2002.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
    The Camaro and its twin, the Pontiac Firebird, were favorites of young drivers who loved tooling around in a powerful, muscle car at a moderate price.

But the cars fell from favor in the late 1990s as young consumers shifted to sport utility vehicles and front-wheel drive passenger cars and production ended in 2002.
    I am astonished.

(Shaking my head as I turn away and walk.........)

Comment

they fell from grace from the guys i know because you had to wait half a damn year to get one!
      1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Didnt they kill off the Zeta?

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
        2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

I don't know how updated that press release is...sounds like the Zeta to me, as thomas said...and everyone else knows, it's dead.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

The way i read it its not really zeta, so maybe thats their loophole, I think they said "something like a zeta lite". It sounds like politics are comeing into play in GM. Or it could be that they are starting to feel it, you know that doing away with the f-bodies did give GM negative press. My only hope is that is if they do bring them back that they do it right, and not throw Firebird or Camaro on some POS import. Remember the LeMans made by Daewoo
            95 Trans Am, K&N CAI, LT4 knock module, Flowmaster exhuast, Grant GT steering wheel, Sony head unit w/sub, Autometer Gauges

Comment

The article is current. It's on www.detnews.com. From what I've gathered, Zeta was an engineering excersize to produce a flexible RWD structure that would be cheaper than modifying a Sigma. Turns out that it was too expensive? There have been hints of an "underground" effort to produce a structure that would meet Camaro requirements. Right now I'm just happy they mentioned the Camaro by name...when was the last time they did that without adding haitus.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                I am astonished.

(Shaking my head as I turn away and walk.........)
                My sentiments exactly. When I graduated high school, I would've loved a Camaro. Yeah, a 'Burban or a 1-ton would've been cool, but nothin' like pullin' up to school in a black Z...kinda like I did in college . GM needs to get their stuff in order, lest they go under
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                X