Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P1870

P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping

That's the code I got today when I got it scanned after the SES light came on. For a few days now, I've noticed my car shifting exremely hard (jerk) 1st to 2nd...and a loud whistling noise.

I can get into any gear fine and it drives fine...just jerking 1st in to 2nd. Any ideas? I did a quick search on the net and all I can find is what the code means. P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

My guess would be that some component of your transmission is slipping Sorry, can't help ya more but the code sounds kinda self explanatory.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

yeah...it is self explantory.

but, jerking and slipping are polar opposites to me...guess I'll just have to get under her today and play around.

Sucks! I don't have the time or resources to get her worked on.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I'm no tranny expert, but I'll try to relay info from what I've heard from the trannhy shop I went to. He claims that later 4L60Es have a problem where the actuator valve(?) leaks or has some kind of small problem. The PCM sees lower pressure or something amiss, so it tries to compensate by increasing the pressure and/or shift firmness. So the problem gets worse. Maybe something can explain this much better, or someone has the real facts on this. Or maybe this is all a rare case, and/or not true. Sorry I couldn't be of more help
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Sorry to hear this

What this means is Tranny rebuild. When I used to work at my local chevy dealership we most of the time had to rebuild the transmission or get a geniune GM remanufactured one.
          Lee Stroud in West Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
            P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping

That's the code I got today when I got it scanned after the SES light came on. For a few days now, I've noticed my car shifting exremely hard (jerk) 1st to 2nd...and a loud whistling noise.

I can get into any gear fine and it drives fine...just jerking 1st in to 2nd. Any ideas? I did a quick search on the net and all I can find is what the code means. P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping

Most likely it is the TCC regulator valve. It is common for it's bore to get worn out and when this happens the PCM will try to compensate by telling the tranny to use "max" line pressure. This is why you are experiencing the harder than normal shifts.

Read my posts in this thread for more detailed info -->> http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10597

Comment

that explains it all...fastTA you're the shiznit! I've noticed too that it doesn't lock up in 4th...looks like I know what's happening. Will I have to drop the pan to get to the TCC valve? I'm kinda excited to do the job myself...if that's possible.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

yes, pan has to come down to do the TCC solenoid. I've personally never had to deal with one of those codes at work (Buick, Pontiac, GMC dealer), but my girlfriend's old '96 camaro set one. One of the guys I work with said sometimes a new valve body will fix it ...but sometimes it won't . then you need a new trans. I never got to try either because she totaled the car shortly after.
                LOUD2000T/A
                '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                  that explains it all...fastTA you're the shiznit! I've noticed too that it doesn't lock up in 4th...looks like I know what's happening. Will I have to drop the pan to get to the TCC valve? I'm kinda excited to do the job myself...if that's possible.
                  Yep, just drop the pan and you can get to the TCC regulator valve. You don't need a new valvebody, you just need to ream the valve bore and either install a sleeve and larger apply valve, or use one of the reamer kits by Sonnax or Performance Automotive (www.transmissioncenter.net).

It is a pretty easy fix, but just make sure that you flush the valvebody completely clean before putting everything back together.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                    Yep, just drop the pan and you can get to the TCC regulator valve. You don't need a new valvebody, you just need to ream the valve bore and either install a sleeve and larger apply valve, or use one of the reamer kits by Sonnax or Performance Automotive (www.transmissioncenter.net).

It is a pretty easy fix, but just make sure that you flush the valvebody completely clean before putting everything back together.
                    I guess that's just dealer warranty repair...replace the whloe thing just to make hours.
                    LOUD2000T/A
                    '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by LOUD2000T/A
                      I guess that's just dealer warranty repair...replace the whloe thing just to make hours.
                      Naaaah, dealerships don't abuse their factory warranty contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA

Hi, I have that same problem on my 97 TA.

so, do you recommend this KIT 77754-R2 ? or Do I need something else?

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X