Need more low-end torque and horsepower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more low-end torque and horsepower

I own an '86 Trans Am with a 5.7 liter TPI engine without any modifications to the engine or otherwise, other than a new exhaust. I was wondering what suggestions anyone could give me about improvements that could be made to boost both low-end torque and/or horsepower. I was thinking of putting an SLP cold-air induction system on it. I was also considering replacing the intake runners, also from SLP. I am aware that I could replace the throttle body, add an air foil, adn a TB spacer, as well as some headers. I am just wondering what the best way to go is, that will keep from costing me too much money. That way when I leave some ricers in the dust, thier face looks like instead of just .

Thanks.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Originally posted by thenuge876
    I was thinking of putting an SLP cold-air induction system on it. .
    yes, good move.

I was also considering replacing the intake runners, also from SLP.
    No..... that would shift the powerband upwards and will soften your low end torque. These are really designed for a modded engine where the owner is changing the powerband of the engine. Heads and cam should be associated more with this mod.

I am aware that I could replace the throttle body, add an air foil, adn a TB spacer, as well as some headers. I am just wondering what the best way to go is, that will keep from costing me too much money.
    Don't mess with the throttle body. It is suffecient. An airfoil will help just a little, the headers are on the money. IMHO, spend the money on a cold air induction, headers and exhaust and you'll find better average results for the money spent.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the advice I think I'll go and do that. Also I know that headers come in various sizes such as 1-3/4" etc. What factors accompany the different sizes?
      -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Comment

The small primary diameter is for small cubes (like the 305). the larger primaries are for 350 and larger.

Comment

1 5/8s are for stock to mildy ported heads while the 1 3/4 are for mildy ported to aftermarket race heads. use the 1 5/8 be enough flow for what u wanna do. dont forget unless u add a cam and do some port work, u only flow what ur cam and heads allow
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Question about cams.

I forgot about the cam before but i was thinking of adding one of those too, in my engine (350 TPI) which cam do you think would be appropriate?
            -Dan

Comment

i say do a cold air intake, gears, headers with offraod y-pipe and a 3 ichn catback. i did all the little mods and came to the conclusion you get waht you pay for. save your moeny and spend more on mods. dont mess around with the small stuff. horsepower is money
              1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

Working...
              X