305 or 350?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 305 or 350?

Im buying a '88 TA, which has a bad motor, actually just bad injectors cause the kid messed with them, so they shoot fire whenever you hit the gas. It has a 305 in it right now, would it be better to throw a 350 in it?

If the 305 can be a good running motor for not too much $ I say stick with it. If the motor is worn out and runs bad even with the injector problem fixed....then I say go ahead and slap a 350 in there. There's no reason to spend a ton of money on putting a new motor in there unless the old one is shot.
    1995 Blue T-Top 3.8L Auto Firebird
    1991 Blue T-Top 5.0L TBI Auto Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by Unusual95BlueBird
      There's no reason to spend a ton of money on putting a new motor in there unless the old one is shot.

Unless he wants more power... Which the majority of the people on this forum want.

If you want power, then yes, go for the 350.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I totally want more power, and my cousin has 2 350's that he doesnt use, so I could just get them for free, or very cheap. What i was wondering would the 350 bolt right up to the 305's trans? Its a 5-speed, and the kid said he just replaced the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by 80TA400
          I totally want more power, and my cousin has 2 350's that he doesnt use, so I could just get them for free, or very cheap. What i was wondering would the 350 bolt right up to the 305's trans? Its a 5-speed, and the kid said he just replaced the clutch.
          Yest, it will bolt right up. The 305 and 350 are externally indistinguishable from eachother. It is basically the same motor, bored out a little with a longer stroke cranakshaft.

Beware, that 5-speed transmission is pretty weak and the torque from the 350 might just destroy it in short time.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

TraceZ, how weak? i've had mine for almost year, (with the 350) and sofar, so good. I've heard this stock tranny with centerforce cluch, and i'm getting some pretty decent launches, everyone says me "It's gonna die man, it's gonna die..." I'm not too scared, i can't wait to get a t56 anyways, this will just give me an excuse, ha-ha.

The tranny had appx 200,000kms on it with the 305, apparantly, it was well maintained.
            '83 Z28 Camaro. 350/325HP, 3:73's, comp.cam, hedman headers, 650 carter carb, 1 inch spacer, edelbrock performer, K&N, 3" flowmaster, t-tops, 18" Torq thrust-II's and a big bad 4" cowl.

Comment

I'm sure you are borderline on yours. It could break tomorrow, or it could last for years. It depends on how hard you are on it as well as how good the transmission is.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:

Comment

The way gas is looking, stick with the 305.
                1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
                V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
                previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_82
                  The way gas is looking, stick with the 305.
                  I have two friends with firebirds. One is a 92 with a stock 305, the other is an 84 on its 4th engine now....a crate 350 that's decently built up (intake, cam, 3.73's, bolt ons). That 305 doesn't get that much better gas mileage than that 350, even with his gears and all.
                  black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

i say go for the 350 i have one and i love it.....mpg sucks but i have a 4 barrel on it so yeah but i have an auto and it burns threw 1st does a lil in 2nd and you can hear 3rd a lil also....thats over the engine alot of torque is all i can say.
                    your racing 16 year old Camaro Berlinetta Digital Camaro 202 heads 4 barrel and soon to be headers with 4 inch running back

Comment

Working...
                    X