Temporary fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary fix

I currently have two tires on my car that are in need of replacement but due to the fact that i just spent $700 for some other misc maintenance parts i am tapped out at the moment. I have two 315/35/17's in the garage with about half of the tread left and was wondering if they could go on my factory ws6 17's for a little while without being a serious hazard. I know that 315's on a rim that narrow is a no-no but they were free and have been sitting in my garage for a a few months now and it would be convenient for me if i could use them as a "band-aid" for my problem. Keep in mind that I in no way intend to do this for any kind of traction gains because all i care about is being able to save enough money to put some quality rubber on my baby instead of having to slap some cheapo's on her.

Thanks in advance as always for your help guys.
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Will they fit? barely. The sidewalls get pulled inward to seat on the narrower than suggested rim. They won't handle as well, the center of the tread will wear out faster but they will get you by in a pinch if you don't drive too aggressively. Don't try to hook, don't try to run them up to speed, just use them as a temporary until you get new rubber.

Comment

Thanks for the info Joe. I was starting to wonder if they would even fit after i posted the thread because i have never seen them mounted on a rim that size but heard it could be done.
      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

the crown will be mushroomed. the body cords will be stressed, the belt package will be reversed concave. and like joe said...the center of the tread will wear out quicker.

dont take corners fast or make sudden drastic lane changes. you could pop a bead and suffer sudden air loss, ie: blow out. just take it easy... and get the right tires on there when you can.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
        X