Do QTP cutouts Leak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do QTP cutouts Leak?

I was talking to someone about QTP cutouts and my friend said to becareful because his experience with cutouts were that they leak when closed sometimes. DO any of you find this to be true?

I am ordering Kooks headers with dual Magnaflow cats and I was told if I install a QTP cutout to get it towards the end of the Y pipe connected to a Borla. I called QTP and they stated that I probably wouldn't get really any HP gain but would just make it sound loud.

Do you thing getting the QTP electric cutout is a good idea or bad idea?

Thanks for the advice.
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Originally posted by Mixedpuppy
    I was talking to someone about QTP cutouts and my friend said to becareful because his experience with cutouts were that they leak when closed sometimes. DO any of you find this to be true?
    yup... cutouts with a diverter valve often leak.

Originally posted by Mixedpuppy

I am ordering Kooks headers with dual Magnaflow cats and I was told if I install a QTP cutout to get it towards the end of the Y pipe connected to a Borla. I called QTP and they stated that I probably wouldn't get really any HP gain but would just make it sound loud.

Do you thing getting the QTP electric cutout is a good idea or bad idea?

Thanks for the advice.
    The more effecient an exhaust system is, the less of an impact the cutout will make. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless the rest of the system is stock.

Comment

Thanx Joe1320. I appreciate the advice.
      Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

I have the QTP in my Borla nad it has not leaked yet. When it closes it really closes tight. You can hear the motor crank it down closed very hard and tight.

If you are getting a Borla catback, I suggest you put the QTP in the Borla where the adjustable plates would normally go. Putting it up near the y-pipe would not produce quite the same result.

Here is a pic of my QTP installed in the Borla catback.

Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          I have the QTP in my Borla nad it has not leaked yet. When it closes it really closes tight. You can hear the motor crank it down closed very hard and tight.

If you are getting a Borla catback, I suggest you put the QTP in the Borla where the adjustable plates would normally go. Putting it up near the y-pipe would not produce quite the same result.

Here is a pic of my QTP installed in the Borla catback.

That is so sweet! I really want to do that....changing those plates is a PITA at the track.....plus, the louder exhaust at the flip of a switch is just plain cool. I would probably tempted to go with a quieter muffler though, so when johnny law pulls you over for "inadaquate exhaust", you can just flip the switch and say "what loud exhaust?"
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

yup they do leak after a while i have had mine fitted for almost a year and they get a little sloppy on the shaft so they do not seal fully. in the instructions is sayes to run a bead of sealent around the closing faces of the butterfly which seams to do the trick
            http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
            C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
            mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

Exactly what bigtow said. I put a thin bead of RTV sealant (the same that I used to seal the intake manifold) and tested it before hand. I had to get a feeling of how it sounds when fully closed, so I practiced before I installed it. So not overtorquing the butterfly and running the sealant has enabled mine to be leak free so far...and I'm constantly opening/closing mine whenever the cops are following.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
              X