Came close to departing this Earth yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Came close to departing this Earth yesterday

It's taken me a good 24 hours recovery time to talk about it.

I was on a business trip, had a meeting in St. Pete. Took my time the entire trip on all these back roads, really pushing for good mileage. I get across to the coast and merged onto the interstate. Got up to speed...... 70 was the limit, I was in the right lane of a three lane and everyone was buzzing by in the left two. Best guess is that I was about 72 mph when it happened............

I'm still in the right lane as I'm taking the next exit. I see the left two lanes are pretty full and there is a rather large heavy equipment hauler in the middle lane going slower. Most are going around the left side to pass, I start slowing down because I see a pickup and trailer combo on the right shoulder that was was broken down and it's occupants standing beside the roadway. "this doesn't look good" I thought.......I no sooner started to brake and the large semi hauler decided to turn right into my path and continue over to the shoulder. I don't mean he tried to merge into my lane..... he made a freaking right hand turn and completely blocked my path. The front brakes tried despairately to slow me down, but that combined with some steering input had the front tires howling in protest and I was rapidly running out of room. If I continued on my path, he was going to drive right over the top of me or I would slam into the side of his cab or trailer and that would have been devistating. I modulated the brakes and steered in between the broken down truck and the semi and went off the right shoulder. I start down hill and immediately into deeper sand.... got to drive through this..... down on the throttle, counter steer and keep the momentum...... now parallel to the semi and still at speed but way down low by the trees...... now back up the hill and on to the emergency lane. The real kicker is that late the night before, I lacerated my elbow while remove an oxygen sensor and really should have gone to the hospital for 5 or 6 stiches. Did I do that? No.... doctored myself up and finished the 02 sensor job and drove to the meeting in the morning. I can't bend my right arm or the wound could open.... so I'm doing this with a stiff arm. Of course I roll down the window and give him the obligatory salute.

It literally looked like the original Smokey and the Bandit movie when he goes off road and takes out the row of mailboxes. The car is unscathed, except for some flat spotting of the tires. Same with me, underwear intact. I was pretty cool thoughout the whole episode having had so much seat time on racetracks, but afterward I was able to reflect on just how badly this scenerio could have been. I firmly believe an average driver would have plowed directly into the side of the semi or lost it as soon as going off the shoulder. This Honda Accord didn't have anti-lock brakes, they were an option. The tires are skinny and short, the car is fairly light, gets good mileage..... all those things don't add much confidence in an avoidance manouver. Had I been driving the TransAm, the thing that I would have been more worried about was getting plowed from the rear by someone else not being able to stop in time.

The only reason I really decided to share this episode is after reading about another person's experience when street racing, I decided to share this in the hopes that people recognize that things like this happen even when you aren't racing. The best advice I can give someone is to spend a couple grand on a competetive driving school like Skip Barber or similar. After that, get some track time where you can practice driving a car at it's adhesion limits. It will probably save your life. It saved mine...... twice.

Holy Ch!T man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good driving broh!!!!!!! that scared me reading this! awesome story write up too!! glad your ok!

you sould like me. ive only had stitches once in my life, my x wife made me get them cause you could see my knee cap. butterfly bandages and one time needle and thread...thats all ive ever used..... one time. i even had a hole to my shin from hitting the coral bottom surfing at the pipeline in hawaii......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Glad you pulled through,,
      94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

wow... Glad to know you got out alive and unharmed...what happen to the semi? Buster...goes to show you seat time does make a difference.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

nice job!!
          95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Glad to hear you are OK, Joe. I think I would have come away with soggy drawers. Good driving, Bro.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

This was northbound on I-75 at the I-275 turnoff to St. Pete? Its a daily statistic on the traffic radio for the morons who decide to make the last minute turn off there.

Bayflite has a regular landing site there! I've had two close friends flown out of there a few years ago..... they spent a month in the hospital each.
              The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by pete
                This was northbound on I-75 at the I-275 turnoff to St. Pete? Its a daily statistic on the traffic radio for the morons who decide to make the last minute turn off there.

Bayflite has a regular landing site there! I've had two close friends flown out of there a few years ago..... they spent a month in the hospital each.

Bingo. You nailed it.

Comment

Wow,
                  Man I am just glad you are alive I have read over the years (since early 97) about your training . I am glad it acually was used to save your life. I have heard people complain about anti-lock brakes (early ones) that they actually help caused accidents, I wonder how your situation would of been if your car had them I thought driving between Richmond and DC on I-95 was hell (driving to Kerm's) I must say it appears that area even tops that infamous stretch
                  Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                  Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                  pics and info

Comment

I was taught in my drivers ed class to be constantly looking for a way out of every situation. Like a pilot always looks for a place to land if the engine were to suddenly die. I know there are sometimes when things happen so fast that you can't keep you options open but I try to minimize those occasions.

Here is an example of it. Several years ago the girl I was dating was driving down I85 just north east of Atlanta around 10pm on a Sunday night. She had just gotten a brand new Honda Civic. It didn't have a tag on it yet. She was slowly gaining on a tractor trailer that was driving erratically. So she thought through it and figured she would be better in front of him than behind him. (This was one of the reasons we separated. There was something wrong with her deductive reasoning process.) So she passed him and never looked back. The guy came up beside her and hit her drivers door which turned her broad side in front of the truck. She said he pushed her sideways for several miles. I'm sure it was more like a few hundred feet seeing how the road isn't straight. Well the car slowly slid from the passenger side of the truck to the drivers side. As she came of the truck on the drivers side, it spun her around several times in the middle of the road where she spun to a stop. The truck never slowed down. She pulled off to the side to clean her pants out. Nobody stopped either. She went on and called me and told me what happened. I told her to tall the cops and I went down there. The drivers side of her car was flattened a couple of inches. She called the police who asked her if she got the tag number of the truck. I said how the heck is supposed to get it in front of the truck. I told them she could probably give you the part number for the front headlight though. They said well after she came off the truck. I said no she was busy doing 360s in the middle of I85. Jeez. Anyway the point is she should never have put herself in the position of not being in control of the situation. If she had stayed behind him she could have kept an eye on him.

Good job Joe for not making that any worse than it already was.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Whew, close one!
                      It's never easy to think fast in sticky situations. Good job keeping clear throughout the panic!
                      '83 Z28 Camaro. 350/325HP, 3:73's, comp.cam, hedman headers, 650 carter carb, 1 inch spacer, edelbrock performer, K&N, 3" flowmaster, t-tops, 18" Torq thrust-II's and a big bad 4" cowl.

Comment

Wow, glad you're OK Joe. That's some scary stuff...
                        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I'm extremely glad to hear your training has pulled you out of a horrible situation. D@mn glad to hear you made it out....awesome driving my friend.

About 2 weeks ago, I was following my friend on 290 east here in the suburbs of chicago, and he was riding on his crotch rocket. We were in the middle lane, and there was a truck (one that hauls cars actually) in the left lane (which is illegal in illinois at least). Suddenly, this truck, without a turn signal, just swerves right in to my friends lane right as he was about to pass him. My friend had to immediately move over and drive in between the truck and a car in the right lane for a second or two, and slowed down to where he came back in front of me.

People out there really do not know how to drive. We have to count on ourselves for our own safety. When it comes to safety, we have airbags and seatbelts and what not, but the number one safety feature is ourselves. We have to be confident in ourselves and our driving, and always have to constantly be scanning and knowing our escape routes should anything happen. Just like you said joe, I've gone to parking lots to screw around with my car to know its limitations, and have every intention on going to driving school within the next 5 years or so. I know it will be worth every penny.

Joe, glad to hear you made it out again. Keep up the good drivin'
                          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                            I wonder how your situation would of been if your car had them I thought driving between Richmond and DC on I-95 was hell (driving to Kerm's) I must say it appears that area even tops that infamous stretch
                            I've driven though DC construction and this does compare....... In some ways it's crazier. The kids around the area think they know it well enough to be whizzing in and out of traffic. Either they have no fear (read... no common sense) or they have a death wish.

Anti-lock on this car MAY have had some benefit, but given the amount of room I ultimately had when the truck turned, I doubt it. This is where I think the average driver would have just stabbed the brakes and prayed the car stopped in time. In this instance....... it wouldn't have stopped in the alloted distance. If I had turned off road at the slower speed that anti-lock brakes would have generated, I would have bogged in the sand or possibly flipped as the tires caught hold. Overall, I was happy with the resulting off road excursion.

Comment

OK Joe, stay away from hurricanes, oxygen sensors, and tractor trailers. Your safety depends upon it

Comment

Working...
                              X