Carter carb: I hate you.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter carb: I hate you.

Well, yeah. I guess the topic speaks for itself, I'm having problems with my carter 650.

In idle, it loves to rev.. but when i shift low 1'st to 2'nd, 2'nd to 3'rd, and son on (under 3200 or so) and stomp it for tq, she hesetates...
    When i want to race, everything works fine (usually but not all the time) but for her to cooperate, i have to shift pretty high, at 4500+

the carb is new. I've only driven the car one summer, it was okay before.. but now, it's just wacky. The entire engine was built by a machine shop that was bought by a competitor, so the "extended" warranty, is gone.
    haha, i'm sure i could take it to them and see what they say, but i'de much rather take a look myself.. where should i start? play around with the TV cable, i guess?
    '83 Z28 Camaro. 350/325HP, 3:73's, comp.cam, hedman headers, 650 carter carb, 1 inch spacer, edelbrock performer, K&N, 3" flowmaster, t-tops, 18" Torq thrust-II's and a big bad 4" cowl.

Check that your accellerator pump is squirting gas in there.

Comment

But it's fine in idle, would it change weither it's in idle or geared?
      '83 Z28 Camaro. 350/325HP, 3:73's, comp.cam, hedman headers, 650 carter carb, 1 inch spacer, edelbrock performer, K&N, 3" flowmaster, t-tops, 18" Torq thrust-II's and a big bad 4" cowl.

Comment

The demands of the engine change under load. Also check your float level and maybe your fuel pump outout pressure & volume. Also - there's the fuel filter which could be clogged.

Comment

Ah..... carter carbs. You have to dial in the accelerator pump shot to match the airflow. That's the rub with carbs..... the tuning isn't automatic. The carb is set to a "ballpark" calibration but it's up to the user to fine tune it. As mentioned, you may have a loat level problem, a secondary metering problem, accelerator pump problem, etc. Tuning carbs was an art in it's day.

Comment

okie, cool. thanks a bunch

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              Ah..... carter carbs. You have to dial in the accelerator pump shot to match the airflow. That's the rub with carbs..... the tuning isn't automatic. The carb is set to a "ballpark" calibration but it's up to the user to fine tune it. As mentioned, you may have a loat level problem, a secondary metering problem, accelerator pump problem, etc. Tuning carbs was an art in it's day.

Yeah, I know it's not automatic.. but i had it tuned pretty nicely, but now that it seems to be finally worked it, she's a bit hesetant. it worked before, and all was well. that's what sortof makes me wonder. I'll check the fuel pump, float and such..

I never had a single problem with me holley.

Thanks

Comment

Oh, and something i forgot to mention...

It's super hesetant when starting in the morning, i have to let it sit for a good 30 secs and feed it some gass.. but after 5 mins or so, its good and normal.

same with the carb it usually gets better after a bit of driving

hmmm

Comment

My Carter AFB on my K5 does the same thing when I first put the thing into WOT. It is random...I never truly figured out/solved the problem. However, I believe it is a starvation condition when I suddenly hit WOT. If I gradually goe into WOT, I don't ever have a problem. I was going to pull it apart and check the float level. There are a few sources out there that point to a low float condition. In addition, I need to change my metering rods.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yeah, same. If i slowly giver gas, it goes fine, it's only when i really cram it that it hesetates

Comment

If memory serves me, this carb has a spring loaded secondary air metering. The top butterflies are controlled by on demand airflow, the bottom blades are mechanical......... Yes?

Comment

Ahh, Carters...

Been working on these for years. First, they are VERY sensative to a weak accelerator pump shot, and the pump cup tends to deform and harden if it sits and dries out (which probably happened in your case). They occasionally come back to life with use. Also, it highlights lean metering rods which is often the case out of the box. If you have the bucks, pick up a "track pack" for this carb. Not cheap, but it comes with everything you need to change rods and jets in matched sets. Very cool, I have two. Pretty rare for the secondary air valve to cause problems unless it's gummed up, and you state that it is almost new.

One more thing. If you live in an area of the country (like mine ) that uses high ethanol (alcohol) content, its h**l on any rubber or cork in the fuel system. Any storage or lack of use at all is a bad thing with this junk fuel.

Hans
                        The Larry Shinoda Collection: '65 Corvair Monza 140, '69 L-68 Corvette, '70 BOSS 302

In progress: '88 GTA, '62 409 Impala, '72 RX-3

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          If memory serves me, this carb has a spring loaded secondary air metering. The top butterflies are controlled by on demand airflow, the bottom blades are mechanical......... Yes?

I'm not sure, joe. I'll check it out on break... (im at work. heh)

Comment

haha, yep. you're right on, joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrencher
                              Been working on these for years. First, they are VERY sensative to a weak accelerator pump shot, and the pump cup tends to deform and harden if it sits and dries out (which probably happened in your case). They occasionally come back to life with use. Also, it highlights lean metering rods which is often the case out of the box. If you have the bucks, pick up a "track pack" for this carb. Not cheap, but it comes with everything you need to change rods and jets in matched sets. Very cool, I have two. Pretty rare for the secondary air valve to cause problems unless it's gummed up, and you state that it is almost new.

One more thing. If you live in an area of the country (like mine ) that uses high ethanol (alcohol) content, its h**l on any rubber or cork in the fuel system. Any storage or lack of use at all is a bad thing with this junk fuel.

Hans

Yes, right on the money. Also, the secondary air butterflies are spring controlled. When the spring gets weak, the butterflies begin to open prematurely, upsetting the original settings. The lean cold start condition can be addressed with the choke.

Comment

Working...
                              X