97 WS6 brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 WS6 brakes

Just took The Trans AM out for a little drive..and NO Brakes well sorta no brakes the pedal goes down a ways but the braking power is minimal pads about 80 % gone guess its time for new rotors and pads...I hope its not the master cyl. oh well any recommendations on quality rotors and pads?

Thanks in advance
    1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
    1 of 463
    LT4 knock module
    D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
    strut tower brace
    SLP fan switch
    160* t/stat
    Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
    DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

I just got new rotors on mine an love them. Will never use stock rotors. this is where I got mine Rotorpros.com mine are slotted & dimmpled am painted red the cost is about the same if you were to get them from GM. Go to that site an check them out. An you can E-mail me for pic's of mine with my y2k wheels they look great but work super. zlee@bellsouth.net good luck Blazer

Comment

Thanks
      I have a quote from them and it seemed to good to be true ....so I was kinda hopeing someone would chime in about them anyone else have any thoughts about Rotorpros
      1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
      1 of 463
      LT4 knock module
      D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
      strut tower brace
      SLP fan switch
      160* t/stat
      Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
      DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Now might be a good time to upgrade to LS1 brakes. I converted my car to C5 front brakes and the braking performance is utterly amazing. I had GT Rotors before these brakes and they were better then stock. Might want to look into a better set of brake pads...Maybe Hawk pads....Pads make an enormous difference.

Comment

how much dough should we expect to pay for new drilled and slotted rotors and cermamic pads?
          1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

One word on ceramic pads. When I ran them, I was not impressed with the cold stopping power. They gripped better when heated, but when cruising the interstate for example, in the rain...... hit the brakes and not much would happen. Heat them up and it was a different story. The problem being is that I wasn't going to drive the car hard enough to heat the brakes like that so I pulled them and went with a semi metallic and have been much happier. I ran them on my Crew Cab Dually and the T/A and wasn't pleased on either one. Performance Friction Carbon Metallic have been my choice and the brakes work great. Not too much dust, but good stopping power.

Another point that I remember was that once you use ceramic pads, somehow the ceramic impregnates the surface of the rotor. If you switch pads again back to another material, they don't perform as well until you swap to fresh rotors. I can't personally verify this as I swapped rotors anyway when I changed pad material.

Comment

What all is involved in switching to LS1 brakes? Is it just the rotors or is there more to it?
              97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
              In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                One word on ceramic pads. When I ran them, I was not impressed with the cold stopping power. They gripped better when heated, but when cruising the interstate for example, in the rain...... hit the brakes and not much would happen. Heat them up and it was a different story. The problem being is that I wasn't going to drive the car hard enough to heat the brakes like that so I pulled them and went with a semi metallic and have been much happier. I ran them on my Crew Cab Dually and the T/A and wasn't pleased on either one. Performance Friction Carbon Metallic have been my choice and the brakes work great. Not too much dust, but good stopping power.

Another point that I remember was that once you use ceramic pads, somehow the ceramic impregnates the surface of the rotor. If you switch pads again back to another material, they don't perform as well until you swap to fresh rotors. I can't personally verify this as I swapped rotors anyway when I changed pad material.
                I agree 100% with this whole statement. I was about to say the exact same thing until I read this. Ceramic pads work great when heated...when cold, they're alright. I myself chose hawk pads. I do have ceramic ones in the back, but chose for the carbon metallic ones up front. After shipping charges, it all came to about $150 for both front/back. I also personally recommend hawk pads. Twice now, since I've changed them, I've had to hit my brakes harder than I ever have before....and both times I came out successful. I guarantee you that I wouldn't have made one of those stops had I not changed my pads when I did.

Then again though, if you really want some superior braking power, go for the LS1 upgrade.

Just my $.02
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by soCalTA
                  What all is involved in switching to LS1 brakes? Is it just the rotors or is there more to it?
                  This thread should help

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9866
                  black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Working...
                  X