Big Block Pontiac Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Block Pontiac Question

The RAIII for my Firebird doesn't have any of the pulleys or accessories. Anyhow, I found a '66 389 in a Bonneville that had all of it including the balancer, pulleys, brackets, pumps, and AC. I bolted it all up yesterday, it fits perfectly. However, the balancer is set up kinda strange. There is a keyed piece that slips onto the crank...then there is a AC pulley, spacer, main pulley, and another balancer. This assembly is bolted together with six bolts.

Anyhow, my question is this: Will the two piece balancer work ok on the 400 or is there something that I missing with regard to a possible difference between the 389 and the 400 with regard to the balancer and how the 400 is balanced?
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

From what I read, the Harmonic Balancer should be interchangeable on the 389/400. I will go with this unless somebody else knows differently.

Pretty cool setup; I got everything including the AC for $70
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
    X