TCI tranny shield problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCI tranny shield problem

Anybody have the TCI SFI-rated aluminum tranny shield for a TH400? I've had the shield on it for a couple of years, but they never installed the NHRA-required pan straps, and never gave the loose parts to me. I got an install kit for the TCI shield, which includes the straps, and got the instructions of the TCI website.

But if you install the pan straps as specified, they are going to be "crooked". There are 2 "tabs" on each side of the shield that attach the shield to brackets on the pan bolts. But the tabs of the passenger side are offset to the rear, compared to the tabs on the drivers side.

Is that the way they are supposed to end up? You can see the blue shield in this photo, and the tabs on the passenger side. The front strap is probably going to interfere with the drain plug.....

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Definately strange...... are you sure that there aren't any additional bracket parts missing that would correct the offset?

Comment

Can you criss-cross the straps?

Comment

I was under the impression that the exception to the rule was that as long as your trans pan met or exceeded SFI Spec 4.1, that you were not required to utilize the pan straps. Either way if you intend to use them, I would imagine that you should be able to slightly bend the strap uprights in order to install them diagnolly from tab to tab.

This is why I like to use the Kevlar blankets.

Sounds like you are about to dust off the old Formula and go make that long awaited 10 second pass. Should be no problem on 300 worth of the good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          I was under the impression that the exception to the rule was that as long as your trans pan met or exceeded SFI Spec 4.1, that you were not required to utilize the pan straps. Either way if you intend to use them, I would imagine that you should be able to slightly bend the strap uprights in order to install them diagnolly from tab to tab.

Sounds like you are about to dust off the old Formula and go make that long awaited 10 second pass. Should be no problem on 300 worth of the good stuff.
          Agree, Kev - that ain't an 11 second car.

Comment

I thought about just picking up a new SFI-rated pan. The one I have now is a stock sheetmetal one, with "GMHydramatic" stamped on it. But money's tight right now, so I think I'll just try cobbleing it up somehow with the pan I have.

I think it will just barely fit with the uprights on the straps "twisted".... that was the only way I could see them working at all. No way they would be long enough to "criss-cross".

Now I know why the shop didn't put them on . Actually, I can't recall anyone at "tech" even looking under my car, except once to see if it had the mandatory mufflers required by the local track.

Thanks.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA

I was just going to say the same thing.

Comment

Working...
              X