Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to remove locking lugnut without the key?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove locking lugnut without the key?

yep.... it's what I feared. The new Z has non-stock locking lugnuts, one on each wheel and no key. I know Craftsman makes a socket with internal teeth in a spiral shape that bites into a rounded bolt, I'm thinking this would likely work. Any other suggestions?

Edit: upon closer inspection, these locks have the threads on the outside of the body for the lugnut covers. Evidently these must be a GM item but the type of lock doesn't match what is on my 97..... with these the lock key inserts into the body of the lug nut where on my 97, the lock key grabs the outside of the lock. how many patterns to these are there? Does GM keep records of these locks like the ignition key with the resistor?

If that doesn't work, Get somebody to spot weld a nut to the end of it.

Comment

you can just beat a socket onto it, thats how i got camaromanz28s off....

Comment

welding wont be strong enought, tried it at a school, two was, are one wit a socket, or get a locknut removal tool
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

The Crastmen Bolt-out set oughtta do it. Welding would work too IF you lay a good, strong bead and let it cool for long enough. Worst-case scenario would be to buy 4 sockets and pound one on each lock. Its crude, but it'll work.
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I had one on the spare tire of my wrangler and just used an angle grinder to flatten out two sides and put a pipe wrench on it. If there isn't enough room for that I'd go pounding a socket over them.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
              The Crastmen Bolt-out set oughtta do it. Welding would work too IF you lay a good, strong bead and let it cool for long enough. Worst-case scenario would be to buy 4 sockets and pound one on each lock. Its crude, but it'll work.
              Why buy 4 sockets? I had all 4 of mine off in a matter of minutes with one socket. Pound it on, take it off, pound it out of the socket. Very simple. Don't remember what size I Used though. 21 or 22mm or something. You just gotta buy new lugs. 2 bucks at advance.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Couldnt you just take it to an auto-zone or something and see if they have a similar set? Then just buy a set and use the key. Keep it if you want those lugs, if not return it.

Or is each key different?
                99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

update: upon closer inspection, these locks have the threads on the outside of the body for the lugnut covers. Evidently these must be a GM item but the type of lock doesn't match what is on my 97..... with these the lock key inserts into the body of the lug lock where on my 97, the lock key grabs the outside of the lock. how many patterns to these are there? Does GM keep records of these locks like the ignition key with the resistor?

Comment

Well.... a call to the local dealer gives me the info that GM doesn't log the lock keys like they do the ignition keys. I also got this tidbit.... Amcor designs the locks for GM and their number is 1-800-831-9604. I placed a call to them and all I got so far is a voice mailbox.

Being the impatient and resourceful individual I am, I "fashioned" a new key with a 13/16 impact socket and a BFH. The hardest part was removing the lock from the socket. A few more taps with the BFH and problem solved. Doubtful I can re-use the locks, but at this point I could care less. thanks for the tip, ThirdGen383.

Now.......
                    since these tires are toast, how about a smoke show? She roasts the hides pretty well. I did a nice smokey burnout for my son who was watching and his face was grinning from ear to ear. It's pretty cool being out here in the sticks, no hassles from neighbors if I do a burnout in front of the house. Actually it's funny that I could work on tuning a car with open headers and not a peep from any of the neighbors. Actually when I say neighbors, with the exception of the house across the street (snowbirds from the north who are never home), the nearest neighbor is 100 yards away. bwahaha.... let the games begin!

Thanks, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      Well.... a call to the local dealer gives me the info that GM doesn't log the lock keys like they do the ignition keys. I also got this tidbit.... Amcor designs the locks for GM and their number is 1-800-831-9604. I placed a call to them and all I got so far is a voice mailbox.

Being the impatient and resourceful individual I am, I "fashioned" a new key with a 13/16 impact socket and a BFH. The hardest part was removing the lock from the socket. A few more taps with the BFH and problem solved. Doubtful I can re-use the locks, but at this point I could care less. thanks for the tip, ThirdGen383.

Now.......
                      since these tires are toast, how about a smoke show? She roasts the hides pretty well. I did a nice smokey burnout for my son who was watching and his face was grinning from ear to ear. It's pretty cool being out here in the sticks, no hassles from neighbors if I do a burnout in front of the house. Actually it's funny that I could work on tuning a car with open headers and not a peep from any of the neighbors. Actually when I say neighbors, with the exception of the house across the street (snowbirds from the north who are never home), the nearest neighbor is 100 yards away. bwahaha.... let the games begin!

Thanks, guys.
                      Ahhhh, the BFH...very technical tool that is lol

Yup, those sound like the GM locks, got them on mine. Glad you got them off Joe. Time for the 10-spoke's off the TA? Or, are ya gonna go with the WS6 wheels?
                      Steve

Comment

Ahhhh, the BFH...very technical tool that is lol

Yup, those sound like the GM locks, got them on mine. Glad you got them off Joe. Time for the 10-spoke's off the TA? Or, are ya gonna go with the WS6 wheels?
                        I'm putting the chrome 10 spokes on the Z28 and the Borbets are going back on the T/A since I haven't been able to restore them yet. Funny thing is now I have 2 sets of 16" Camaro salad shooters, 1 set of 98+ Camaro chrome 5 spoke, a set of 17" Fittipauldis, plus the original 5 spokes from the T/A. I seriously need to start clearing out my warehouse. I've got waaaayyy too many parts. That's just 4th generation and I must have half a dozen sets of other too.

Anyone need a set of salad shooters cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          I'm putting the chrome 10 spokes on the Z28 and the Borbets are going back on the T/A since I haven't been able to restore them yet. Funny thing is now I have 2 sets of 16" Camaro salad shooters, 1 set of 98+ Camaro chrome 5 spoke, a set of 17" Fittipauldis, plus the original 5 spokes from the T/A. I seriously need to start clearing out my warehouse. I've got waaaayyy too many parts. That's just 4th generation and I must have half a dozen sets of other too.

Anyone need a set of salad shooters cheap?
                          Don't need a set of salad shooters, but if you're interested in selling off some 17" chrome wheels, shoot me an e-mail
                          Steve

Comment

Don't need a set of salad shooters, but if you're interested in selling off some 17" chrome wheels, shoot me an e-mail
                            Are you sure you don't want the chrome 16s? They look pretty sweet.

I forgot that I have some Weld Prostar big and littles too, but not for sale. Yet..... They just might find their way on the Z.

Comment

Working...
                            X